Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had all kinds of levers over the years, mostly Marlins, but a few Uberti's, a couple of original Winchester 1892's and a Miroku made one.
The couple Rossi's I had were pretty rough out of the box, but with some slicking up got better.

I just got a new Rossi, (BrazTech, since Taurus acquired them) and it is pretty nice.
I was impressed the first time I worked the action and pulled the trigger. Not near as rough as past Rossi's.
The end of the opening cycle was a bit hard to raise the lifter, and upon closing their was some stiffness when the locking bolts came up to cam the bolt forward.
But I lubed it up with some Wilson Ultima Lube, and the last couple evenings worked the action about 1,000 times. Now the thing feels like you are working the lever on an 1866 or 1873.

Fit, finish and polish and bluing are great. The South American "Pisswood" is stained a bit light, but fits tight to the metal and has nice straight grain. Trigger pull is a crisp 4 1/4 lbs.

I can't do well with the full Buckhorn, yeah, it's supposed to help you "center" the target for quick shots, but it bugs me that the ears cover so much of your downrange view, and it seems you have to work to get the front sight blade way down in the notch.

My eyes are to the point where I have to have a peep, one with a smaller aperture helps make the front sight sharp again.
I'll probably get one of the peeps from Steve's Guns that replaces the bolt mounted safety.
That also really increases your sight radius.
I like how the front blade is in a dovetail now instead of being built into the barrel band, so you have some windage adjustment if needed. And supposedly they've changed to a 3/8 th's dovetail instead of the slightly larger one previously used.

I took it out the evening I got it and put half a box of Cowboy loads through it, not much recoil and loads of fun.
Mine is the 16 inch "trapper" version, way handy and light. I've seen weights on the .45 Trappers being 4 lbs. 8 ounces. My scale isn't real accurate but it seems that weight is a bit under 5 lbs.

Yesterday at work ( I haul water so several times a day have 40 minutes to read forums, etc. while the water loads) I read some reviews of the new Braztech carbines, all were also the same .45 16 inch ones like mine. All positive reviews.

Sounds like if you did have a problem though, their CS still sucks. And if you need a part, they want you to send the gun back to them.
I have some 'smithing skills, so if something did break, I'll try to fit parts from an Italian or Jap 92 rather than send my gun back to Rossi/Taurus for months or years.

Reviews:
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-review-rossi-model-92-lever-action-45-colt/
https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/review-rossi-model-92/83720

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Nice looking Rossi! I really like my own Rossi chambered for the .44-40, which is very accurate. Even though my eyesight, at 69 years old, only allows me to shoot using the open sights at < 75 yards, like at a tin can, but still fun. :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm almost 62, and need a peep so the front sight isn't so blurry. But even when I had the eyes of a 20 year old, I liked peeps, and had them on almost every lever I've had over the years.

This little shorty sure has nice balance:

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Model 92 peep site

Sandog, I tried several aperture sights on my Rossi in 44 Mag. Never could get satisfaction. Then I ordered the SX Ghost Ring sight they make for the Model 92 and clones. This is an excellent sight, wonderful sight picture far superior to the bolt mounted peep. The XS sight mounts on the receiver behind the locking lugs. I am completely happy with it.

FYI, the little Rossi I have in 44 Mag. with 16 inch barrel has become one of my very favorite rifles since I solved the sight issues.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Calicoat, that XS sight looks nice, but having to drill and tap my receiver rules it out.
I'm handy doing a lot of things, but not set up to properly D&T. I'm not going to screw up my receiver trying to do it myself with the POS drill press in our shop.
The only gunsmith within 150 miles of me is Gary Reeder in Flagstaff, kind of expensive, and always has a backlog. I really don't want to leave the gun with him for 6 months.
And I really don't want to put $109, plus what it would cost for the gunsmith into a sight that would be a little better.
It's only a $400 gun, chunking another maybe $200 into it is not an option when I can do the bolt peep and it drops right in.

Any receiver sight will be a huge improvement over the full Buckhorn with it's short sight radius.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Calicoat, that XS sight looks nice, but having to drill and tap my receiver rules it out.
I'm handy doing a lot of things, but not set up to properly D&T. I'm not going to screw up my receiver trying to do it myself with the POS drill press in our shop.
The only gunsmith within 150 miles of me is Gary Reeder in Flagstaff, kind of expensive, and always has a backlog. I really don't want to leave the gun with him for 6 months.
And I really don't want to put $109, plus what it would cost for the gunsmith into a sight that would be a little better.
It's only a $400 gun, chunking another maybe $200 into it is not an option when I can do the bolt peep and it drops right in.

Any receiver sight will be a huge improvement over the full Buckhorn with it's short sight radius.
I understand completely. I guess I am a little spoiled by having a number of gun smiths around and some are mighty good. I think the turn-a-round time on mine was a couple of weeks and he did not charge an arm and a leg. I had the bolt peep on there for a couple of years. I never liked it from the beginning and eventually splurged for the XS. I have since gone to either Skinner's or XS's on all of my lever actions. Good luck with yours. I really like my little Rossi. Hope to tackle some hogs with it this fall.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got some parts from Stevesgunz. Replaced the plastic follower with a stainless one.
My carbine had only had maybe a box run through it from the previous owner, but when I took the plastic follower out it already had a crack on the side.
The bolt peep had some slop to it, so I shimmed around the shank with some pop can aluminum, it fits snug now with no movement.

I had ordered a taller brass front sight from Steve, but the first outing showed it to be too tall. I filed it down almost an 1/8", lost the brass bead but put a dot of yellow Testors paint at the top, easy for me to see at 62.
But it was still too high, and to file more off meant the sight was getting too thick.
So I put one of my Marble's sights up there that is the correct height, but it was loose in the oversize dovetail, so once again the pop can shim material under the sight helped.

I has also bought the new (lighter) ejector spring from Steve, thinking that would reduce the roughness upon closing the action, but haven't put it in yet. The 92 doesn't exactly fling the brass very far as it is, not sure I want to weaken that. Brass goes about 2-3 feet above the gun and falls right by my feet.

Stock finish was pretty non existent, where I had been handling the Rossi the stock looked like it was getting lighter.
So I stripped it off, came off pretty easy with rubbing alcohol, then a very light sanding with 600 grit sandpaper.
Some Walnut stain darkened it nicely, then I finished it off with 5 coats of Tru-Oil.

So, like most Rossi's, this has taken a bit of work to get it like I wanted it, but now it is one compact, nice handling carbine.
I'm taking it out as soon as it gets light out, to shoot it and my Ruger .45 Flattop, so I'll add some pics later of the much improved stock.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The R92 is good to go now, shot this group at 50 yards with the Speer Deep Curl load.

That Deep Curl bullet is pretty mean looking, a massive hollow point you can stick a .22 LR down into.
They must be the modern day incarnation of the old Speer "Flying Ashtray" .45 ACP JHP from the 70's.

The Deep Curls at getting 1250 out of the Rossi, and the little 16 inch carbine holds 9 + 1 of them.
The stock looks better now that it's darker, and the finish I put on will hold up, unlike the factory Braztech finish.
The only thing I don't like about this carbine is the laser etched "Braztech Rossi, Made in Brazil by Taurus" on the barrel near the receiver. That's not going to be very easy to remove.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts