Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruger has unveiled a new toy, their Gunsite approved Scout Rifle. Its got a 16.5" barrel, with a removeable flash hider, threaded for a suppressor, a laminate stock with adjustable LOP, NECG sights, forward Scout rail, and a 10 round detachable magazine like the Mini 14/30.
MSRP is $995, so street price should be $750-$800.

http://ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html

Attachments

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I like that rifle!! It looks like it's setup for sniper work. How about the size of the recoil pad on that thing?

·
Banned
426 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm all for function over style, but ****, that is the ugliest conglomeration of parts I've seen in a long time.

·
Registered
931 Posts
The website no longer has the Frontier...Bummer! I had a hankerin for the Frontier in 338 Federal. I like the Frontier a lot more than the "Gunsite Scout".

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,457 Posts
I'm all for function over style, but ****, that is the ugliest conglomeration of parts I've seen in a long time.
:D

If this was April 1, I would have thought that Matt was pulling our leg.

Seriously..... I'm sure they'll sell a bunch. But that thing, well, only it's mother could love it.....

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the website they have it listed for .308 win, so maybe they will chamber it for some of the .308's offspring.

that would make one heck of a brush rifle! I like the ten rd capacity.

I would not expect it to be chambered in anything else. .308 Win is plenty versatile though.

It looks as I expected it though... Obviously its not as pretty as a No. 1, but it serves a different purpose. At least it isn't wrapped in a Hogue Overmolded synthetic stock... I'm getting so tired of those. I like the sights, detachable mag, and threaded muzzle the most. Even though I don't really like the .308W, its probably the best suited cartridge for the gun. I'm actually happy Ruger didn't go off and try to chamber this in another cartridge, that would have been a disaster.

·
Registered
785 Posts
yabut, that would be a GREAT .350 MAG. remember those? it's another short action round they could chamber.

I like that gun, looks like a good boat gun for Alaska.

Reactions: Wet Dog

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Reminds me of my Gibbs Ishapore SMLE in .308. Short barrel, 10 round detachable magazine, flash hider, hard chrome plating on barrel and receiver, and different buttstocks lenghts available from Gun Parts Corp to fit your size. The short one that came with it fits me fine. Of course, the gibbs was more like $300.00!

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I really don;t see the "ugliness" of it. Well, compared to a Remington CDL or a #1, it's pobably not going to get asked to the prom, but it's on par with Ruger's mini rifles. Does anyone remember how blocky the Glocks and Sigs looked when they first began appearing - I mean, compared to a Beretta or Colt?

It looks pretty good to me and is probably a rifle that would look alot better with some confirmed kills under its belt in say.....Afghanistan or somewhere. That's kindly what it looks like to me, anyway. I wouldn;t put it in a lighted display case as a "trophy" rifle, I suppose.

I still can't figure out that huge recoil pad and butt plate.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stretch, its got an adjustable LOP, I believe the photo is with all the spacers in place.

BB, you're kidding, right? its not a bench rest gun, its designed for 300-600 yard target engagement. Take a look at Gunsite's website and look at their courses.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Actually, that's what I was thinking Matt. I didn;t consider the spacers, but I thought that all that bulk had to be for length of pull.

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
Stretch, its got an adjustable LOP, I believe the photo is with all the spacers in place.

BB, you're kidding, right? its not a bench rest gun, its designed for 300-600 yard target engagement. Take a look at Gunsite's website and look at their courses.
I guess i am over optimistic, it would be nice to see what it could do to at least 600yds though, i only saw a 50 yd target.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I agree. If it's just a short range rifle (Ruger probably intends for it to be longer range), then the mini-30 covers that pretty well. I know the 7.62x39 isn;t a .308, but it just looks to me like Ruger put that rifle together for sniper and tactical (warfare, let's say) purposes, and for that, I agree it'd be nice to see what the Gunsite people could do with it at 400 or 600 or so yards. What kind of work did Ruger put into the chamber and bore of this one?

According their news release (at the Ruger site), this rifle is "... the perfect lightweight, hard-hitting, do-it-all bolt-action rifle - where rugged, reliable Ruger meets the practical, tactical......". At 50 yards, in a tactical situation, who wants to be messing with a bolt-action rifle? The mini- series or, better yet, an AR-15 or M-4 would be preferrable.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
The scout rifle is a jack-of-all-trades concept. You will have to shoot a couple of hundred rounds through it before you understand it fully. Or take the Gunsite course for rifles. Its not designed to be pretty. Its a tool that must be rugged. I have a scout type I built many years ago from a stainless M77 MKII and its my favorite. This one is well worth the money. Concerning accuracy, mine will shoot into an inch at 100 yards with the right handload. The scout scopes are 2.5x.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Right,
The goal was 7.7 lbs, length of 37 inches overall, 20” maximum barrel length with 19” considered optimum, (18.5” barrel length will let the 308 Winchester push a 150-grain bullet 2,700 fps which is original .30-06 ballistics).
The accuracy requirement was 10-shots into a 6” at 300 meters.
The threaded barrel will allow the easy addition of a suppressor or a break.

My Dad has one of the first Model 7’s in 260. This short little rifle gives up very little in performance and is very handy in thick cover and convenient in a ground blind.

I agree with Grizz, Ruger needs a thumper to compliment the Scout, a 350 Rem. Mag. would be a fine boat or plane rifle. It would stand up behind the pilot’s seat in a Cub and be out of the way during your daily activities. I never liked ski tubes for storing rifles. Jeff Cooper called his the "Fireplug."

1 - 20 of 78 Posts