Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My latest "Gun Tests" indicates that S&W will introduce the Model 647, which will be chambered for the .17 Hornady. The 647 will be a six-shot stainless steel K-frame revolver with a 6 inch barrel.

Personally, I'd be very interested to see if the accuracy will meet the requirements for a 100yd varmint gun, and would also be interested in a 8 3/8 inch barrel. The literature I read indicates the cartridge is accurate and gives good velocity, however the 6 inch barrel will really affect velocity. I haven't priced the cartridge, so don't know if it's cost effective or not.

Dan

·
Banned
739 Posts
DOK,

Ruger is also listing a SuperSingle6 in the 17HRM. I believe the barrel is 6.5"

I have only read tests about two of the current rifles that have been tested in this caliber.
These tests were in http://www.gunblast.com/ .

My thoughts are that for both Ruger and S&W to tool up for production revolvers, the velocity and accuracy must be acceptable. Otherwise they would be wasting their money.

-OR- Maybe I should buy one of each and rathole them for the collectors when they flop. :eek:

J

·
Registered
306 Posts
Along with the S&W and Ruger, Heritage Manufacturing is also gonna put out a .17 cal pistol, theirs will come in 6"& 9" bbls. Their not a top of the line firearm but for a affordable side arm in the field their OK.

Gun Runner

·
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
J,

Noticing that you're in Springfield, Il, you have the advantage of buying a Ruger and having one of the top gunsmith shops around tune it for you.

Gun runner,

It will be interesting to see what the reviewers have to say about the Heritage performance. I've noticed that several of the Cabela "not top of the line" revolvers get pretty good write-ups.

Dan

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I handled one of the Heritage Arms .17's at my local gun shop a few months ago. I don't doubt that it will go bang, but the cylinder fit and play was quite pronounced. I don't think this cartridge will flop, but I don't know how well it's going to work in revolvers. If you look at the Taurus website, they have a 17HMR and .218Bee in 12" revolvers, stainless of course. I think they where the silhouette models. I'd take the S&W first, but sometimes they are too expensive just to try something you might not really want. I have a .17 HMR in a Savage rifle that is quite effective on prairie dogs and other vermin. The trigger is a drawback in the Savage, but moa accuracy out of an inexpensive rimfire makes up for it.

·
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kciH,

I remember the reviews on the Taurus 22 Hornet several years ago and the accuracy at 50 yds. didn't suggest it was a 100 yd. varmit gun, unless the varmit was pretty good sized. I agree about the preference for the S&W and I have the advantage that the sports outlet (Scheels) where I purchase most of my firearms lets you return a pruchase within 30 days if you don't like it....pretty nice for a situation like this.

Out of curiousity, what do the .17 cartridges cost?

Dan

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
DOK,
I've got a Scheels about 45 minute from me, but I've never bought a firearm from them. I was turned off to them by other business practices in dealings I had when the store was being built. That said, they are by far the best sporting goods store short of going to Cabela's. The .17HMR ammo goes for $7-10/box of 50 depending on where you buy it. I know this is not the cheapest thing around, but lots of people don't handload, so it can be a bargain of sorts.

I know that Taurus produces a fine product for the money. Everyone on this forum loves Rugers and seems to scorn the Taurus. With the money and/or time I've had to put into my Rugers to make them into decent/excellent shooters, I'd think there could be some huge bias here. I'll grant you the Brazillian product doesn't shoot like an S&W, but Taurus is meeting the customer demand at a reasonable price(Much like Ruger). I'm happy to have both companies products at my disposal one way or the other. Taurus is producing handguns of at least the quality that S&W was in it's heyday, with more calibers, for a price most folks can afford. I love my Smith's, but this can definitley not be said for them any longer. My Taurus 85 stainless .38 that I carry daily will outshoot any other snub I've ever handled, at any price.

As for the .17: If you shoot dog's or other smaller vermin at ranges under 200yds, you're missing the boat if you don't try one. I don't mean you have to pay $5-600 for a Ruger 77/17 like they where trying to rape us for locally. Try a Marlin, try a Savage (rifle or pistol), try any one you like, especially a Contender/Carbine barrel. This is a cartridge worth a try in my estimation. As the firearms become available, try one, it's alot of fun. I usually shun anything I can't handload, but this is the exception. Bullberry.com makes some excellent barrels that will blow you mind accuracy-wise for little more than the cost of a factory Contender/Carbine barrel.

Dont' forget to add the cost of a good .17 caliber cleaning rod and some brushes and a jag. Folks may tell you the .17's have fouling problems, but in my experience (.17 HMR and .17 MachIV in rifle length barrels) this is innacurate in modern times. If you don't try to shoot at velocities under 4000fps, the .17's are good as gold and the bullets are becoming more and more common and economical. Try to shoot something with your 22-250 and watch it vaporize through the scope without a muzzle brake, you'll understand the rising popularity of the .17's. I'm not trying to beat up the .22's, God knows, I've got a few.

·
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kciH,

Appreciate the excellent response. My only experience with the Taurus is the .454 Casull I have which I've been very pleased with. It's accurate and so far has held up to the full .454 loads. Review of the .44 mag. Taurus have been very favorable and I've often considered giving them a try inplace of another S&W or Ruger. I've just always been spoiled by the strength/price of the Rugers and the condition of the S&W out of the box.

I'll have to give the Contender/Bullberry addition some real consideration as I'm very pleased with the current .223 Contender I have.....very accurate. Quite frankly, I'm getting lazier in my old age and a rimfire that will do the job in the $7-$10/50 price range appeals to me.

Again, thanks for the input.

Dan

·
Banned
105 Posts
I understand S&W is set to introduce another new revolver. It will be on a super-large frame (bigger than the N-frame) and be chambered in a new 50 caliber cartridge called the 500 Magnum. 400+grain [email protected]+fps! Ladies, THATS A HANDGUN! (no foolin') I don't know who they will get to shoot the thing. I prefer up-loaded 45 Colts in a Ruger Bisley for hunting, and a S&W 625 Mountain Gun for packin'.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I'm with you on the 45LC Bisley, and there's also the .41 Bisley. Those are two of my favorite revolvers. I love the Smith's though. I probably own 3 Rugers for every S&W. I recently purchased a lightly used 617 (6 shot), but it did need a trigger job to match the rest of them. A new 50 cal would be interesting, I just hope they get it right for the sake of durability and don't create a boat anchor (SupRedhawk). I know there are many people on here who love the Super Redhawk and I'm not trying to disparage it in any way, I just don't like to wear suspenders to keep my pants up when I have a revolver on my hip. I wore out a couple of 29's slammin steel about 10 years ago, hence my concern for durability. The 44 Classic Hunter I have still was one of the first years that where supposed to be more durable, but I still don't hammer on it like I do my Rugers.

·
Banned
57 Posts
I'd like to see a tuff guy shoot a 100 round session with that gun lol.
50 caliber revolver..thats gotta hurt!:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm quite interested in seeing what type of 50 cal S&W decides to come out with, I've heard everything from a Bowen 50 spl to a 500 Linebaugh max. Personally after shooting S&W guns for over 40 years I am doubtfull they can build one that will hold up to a large 50 cal, without a complete frame and latch redesign. Maybe they will copy Taurus for a change.
By the way the baddest load I have see referenced is a 465g cast at 1550fps out of a 500 Linebaugh Max. To make 1700 fps with a 400g bullet would in my opinion be pushing the 500 max to its limits and would require a frame streach as well as a design change. I would think something in the order of Gary Reeders new 510 GNR would be just perfect for a double action S&W. The 510 GNR as I understand it will be a shortened 500 Linebaugh much akin to what the 480 Ruger is to the 475 Linebaugh. Approx the same velocitys as the 50AE but using the 511/512 dia bullet. Any thoughts out there??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts