Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· "Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My latest "Gun Tests" indicates that S&W will introduce the Model 647, which will be chambered for the .17 Hornady. The 647 will be a six-shot stainless steel K-frame revolver with a 6 inch barrel.

Personally, I'd be very interested to see if the accuracy will meet the requirements for a 100yd varmint gun, and would also be interested in a 8 3/8 inch barrel. The literature I read indicates the cartridge is accurate and gives good velocity, however the 6 inch barrel will really affect velocity. I haven't priced the cartridge, so don't know if it's cost effective or not.

Dan

7,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
J,

Noticing that you're in Springfield, Il, you have the advantage of buying a Ruger and having one of the top gunsmith shops around tune it for you.

Gun runner,

It will be interesting to see what the reviewers have to say about the Heritage performance. I've noticed that several of the Cabela "not top of the line" revolvers get pretty good write-ups.

Dan

7,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kciH,

I remember the reviews on the Taurus 22 Hornet several years ago and the accuracy at 50 yds. didn't suggest it was a 100 yd. varmit gun, unless the varmit was pretty good sized. I agree about the preference for the S&W and I have the advantage that the sports outlet (Scheels) where I purchase most of my firearms lets you return a pruchase within 30 days if you don't like it....pretty nice for a situation like this.

Out of curiousity, what do the .17 cartridges cost?

Dan

7,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kciH,

Appreciate the excellent response. My only experience with the Taurus is the .454 Casull I have which I've been very pleased with. It's accurate and so far has held up to the full .454 loads. Review of the .44 mag. Taurus have been very favorable and I've often considered giving them a try inplace of another S&W or Ruger. I've just always been spoiled by the strength/price of the Rugers and the condition of the S&W out of the box.

I'll have to give the Contender/Bullberry addition some real consideration as I'm very pleased with the current .223 Contender I have.....very accurate. Quite frankly, I'm getting lazier in my old age and a rimfire that will do the job in the $7-$10/50 price range appeals to me.

Again, thanks for the input.

Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.