Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure whether to put this here or in the Rimfire section, but it is a General Question that could apply to any Savage Rifle, so here it goes.

I had to run a few extra miles to one of the near towns Feed Store to pick up some Rye grass seed and it took my by one of my favorite local gun shops. The owner does quite a bit of trading and consignments and sometimes has some pretty good deals. I have picked up a few things from him on the cheap and the owner is a pretty good guy and likes me.

Over the weekend he traded a guy for his Savage 93 R17. It was new in the box and doesn't even look like the guy ever even put in the bolt. He said that his wife had bought it for him and he was disappointed that Ammo was hard to find and expensive, so he never even shot it. He traded out for a cheap 380 pistol even up, so the owner did not have much in it and sold it to me for a song. Way cheaper than anything I could find on-line.

Well, I unboxed it this morning and after removing the three Savage stickers that were stuck on various places on the stock, it left behind sticky adhesive residue.

The stock finish is nothing to be excited about and I may slap a coat or two of Tru-Oil on it anyway.

Anyone have any experience on how to remove this residue easily and hopefully without doing any damage to the finish (if you can really call it that).

Musical instrument Wood String instrument Hardwood Air gun
Musical instrument Wood Air gun Trigger Shotgun

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Not that exact set of circumstances, but for sticker residue like that, usually just friction with a paper towel will cause the adhesive to ball up and come off

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Goo-gone, or a rag damp with mineral spirits usually works. I bought one years ago shot patterns at 50 yards the first couple of magazines. You could feel a rough spot in the barrel cleaning it. Groups slowly tightened up and its now a tack driver

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Just a good rubbing with you thumb will take it off. Or like others said a little rubbing alcohol on a rag or paper towel.

Surprised the previous owner couldn't find ammo? that was one of the reasons I picked up a 17 hmr. Couldn't get 22 lr back during the last shortage but 17 hmr was an easy find. I put a Nikon 3x9 on mine and ground squirrels fear it.
Be interesting to hear how yours shoots.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Getting the worst off just using my thumbs (really hard on the arthritis... :D ) and then the paper towel. I'll try the other suggestions once I get the worst off.

I have another one so I had quite a bit of ammo already stocked up. I passed on some recently at Academy because of the price and just took a peek at Ammoseek and it is running about $0.50 per round. Not cheap for rimfire...lol I'll keep my eye out. Even 22 mag is about 10 cents cheaper and I had a tough time finding it last year.

I might cut this stock off a bit for my Grandson and see if he might like it. I haven't decided. W'ell see.

Textile Sleeve Wood Trigger Shotgun

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
+1 on WD 40 it usually works great. I've got the plastic stock version of your rifle and it's a tack driver. Accu-trigger is very helpful for accuracy. I've got a stockpile of ammo too. For a cheap gun mine is a keeper.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay. I got the worst off with my thumbs. Got a couple of nice balls of goop off the bigger ones. The smaller one just smudged. Why do they need to put three stickers on the stock that leave so much crap behind. I do think my arthritis is going to talk to me for the next couple of days in my hands though. :D

I wound up using Goo-Gone to get off the rest and it did not seem to hurt the finish at all.

Almost 11 years ago, I got an infection that entered my skin near my left cheek (not the one on my face). I had just gotten over a severe case of the Flu and was wanting to get out of the house so badly I went wade fishing for Flounder. My immune system was compromised because of the Flu and I picked up a bad bug and got sick really quickly. The infection entered my bloodstream (Sepsis) and they didn't give me a very big chance of surviving (about 20%). I called my Sister that morning and said I was going to call 911 and she sent her husband over that beat the ambulance. As best I remember, it was either a really bad Strep, Staph, or Vibrio. I wound up having multiple surgeries over the next 25 days and a few months of wound care following along with some plastic surgery to take care of the surgical wound and scarring. I was really lucky as I was life flighted to Memorial Hermann in Houston and got the best care imaginable. They wanted to pin my immune issues to Diabetes, and yet here I am almost 11 years later with never a hint of sugar issues. I missed Christmas, the birth of my first Grandson, and damn near New Years. lol

I digress...I had multiple IV's in various parts of my arms and even legs for many/many days and the adhesive residue left behind defied everything I threw at it (mainly alcohol). My Oldest (who was working as a Biomedical Engineer at the time) brought over some Goo-Gone and it worked wonders without damaging my skin at all. I've kept some around ever since.

Just a future reference to anyone else that runs into the really bad Savage Glue. As noted, the stock finish wasn't anything to look at, but it did not affect it at all.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Easiest method I've found with those stupid stickers on wood or metal is to first heat them for a minute or two with a hair dryer. They will usually peel right off then in one piece.

Then, as already mentioned, some WD40 on a rag or paper towel will wipe any remaining residue off quickly and not harm either the stock (wood or synthetic) or metal. Those stickers are a PITA!

Reactions: JWSmith1959

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well...I did get the sticker goo off. I got sidetracked with cleaning up my mow-able property. I lost some really big tree branches from the hurricane a couple of months ago and had almost hurricane force winds for a day or two since then. I've spent a few days cutting them up and towing them to the center of my back pasture. I have also set up a tarp drag to haul medium to smaller branches. This pile is probably bigger than can be imagined by the photo. About 8-10 feet tall and 20 or so feet wide to give you some perspective. My Florida Step-son, his wife and three Granddaughters will be coming for Thanksgiving and I plan to have a really nice bonfire weather permitting!
Sky Plant Cloud Natural landscape Tree

We had bad weather scheduled for this afternoon (it made it around 2:30 p.m.) and I decided to try and take the new 17 HMR out for a test drive before it hit. Made it with about an hour to spare.

Plant Tree Luggage and bags Wood Bag

Note a couple of my chickens in the back-ground to the right. Took me a couple of shots to sight it in and here is a five shot group at ~60 yards. My girls never even blinked from the rimfire shots to their left.

The rifle came with a Weaver 3X9 scope (the complete rig was so cheap, you would not believe even without a scope). My Brother sent me an identical scope a few months ago (out of the blue) and I may now know why. :D @ 65 yards, it was horribly out of focus and took a large amount of adjustment to get it close. Also, both side to side and up/down parallax was awful. I'm happy with the group, but not sure how I feel about the scope yet. Time will tell.

Circle Font Pattern Recreation Art

Lastly, I took a photo of the tree I shot into. About a 25" diameter Live Oak. The upper left impact was my first shot. I was amazed at the damage it did from just one bullet. The other impact area were the remaining shots.

Plant Organism Tree Terrestrial plant Trunk

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had 25 round left of some Remington 17 gr. VMax. I still have 17 left. I have about 300 of the CCI with the same bullet, so pretty sure they will be close. My other 17 HMR shoots from 50 to 100 yards very well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts