Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the site and spent the weekend setting up my RCBS Rockchucker. I have had the press a little over a year, just hadn't had the time or a place to set it up. I decided that this was the time to do it, and I'm so pissed at myself for not doing this sooner!!! I have reloaded a few rounds here and there on friends' presses as I began to accumulate dies and equipment of my own. This is the way to go. I spent the afternoon de-priming the brass I've been accumulating over the past year... that is a task for sure. One thing I did find, I really like Carbide dies and that you don't have to lube the brass!!!

I'm happy to now officially be "in the club" and will be scouring this site and several others for all the tips and tricks I can find. Thanks guys!

·
Banned
655 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of reloading!

I have a single stage RCBS that I've had for 30 years, and never felt the need to "move up" to a progressive. But then, 4 or 5 hundred rounds is a HUGE pile of ammo for me. I tend to save up until I have at least 200 rounds to reload.

If I get really bored in the winter (which is fairly often...) I'll process whatever I have on hand to the "Cleaned, sized, deprimed, reprimed and flared" stage and stash it until I have enough to bother with and then finish loading in batches of 200 or so.

At the moment, I have several hundred rounds in small lots of various calibers waiting for the number to pile up enough to make it worth setting up the powder measure...:D

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Reel him in boys, we got him hooked!!!!!! Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of reloading.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys,

This site is a wealth of knowledge that I am only beginning to comprehend. A little about myself, I'm a .35 caliber nut, I own 3 right now, 35 Rem, 358 Win and a 350 Rem Mag. I'm looking to add a 348 Win M71 shortly. Also have a 243 the little woman shoots that I've been saving brass for. I'd love to know what you 35 guys are reloading with. My first batches for the 350 I went with 56 gr of IMR 4895 under a 225gr Nosler Partition, for the 358 I went with 43gr of IMR 4320. The 350 loads I have shoot better than the Rem factory stuff. I have no factory ammo for the 358 to compare my loads to. Nothing loaded yet for the 35 Remmy or the 243. I''ll update when I get things going.

·
Super Moderator
13,643 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Note that carbide dies need no lube only in straight wall pistol dies because the sizer is just a ring without much contact area. If you go to the expense of acquiring a carbide die for rifle, it will have the full contour of the case and will still have to be lubed or the case will stick in it. As an example, below is and old photo of my Dillon .223 carbide die with a case stuck so severely that a screw-type case puller simply tore the head off the case.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Thanks guys,

This site is a wealth of knowledge that I am only beginning to comprehend. A little about myself, I'm a .35 caliber nut, I own 3 right now, 35 Rem, 358 Win and a 350 Rem Mag. I'm looking to add a 348 Win M71 shortly. Also have a 243 the little woman shoots that I've been saving brass for. I'd love to know what you 35 guys are reloading with. My first batches for the 350 I went with 56 gr of IMR 4895 under a 225gr Nosler Partition, for the 358 I went with 43gr of IMR 4320. The 350 loads I have shoot better than the Rem factory stuff. I have no factory ammo for the 358 to compare my loads to. Nothing loaded yet for the 35 Remmy or the 243. I''ll update when I get things going.
Since you're a 35 caliber nut and haven't thrown anything together for the 35Rem, you might want to read through this exhaustive review of 35 cal. bullets.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,7180.0.html

Welcome to the forum...remember that sharing is good! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts