Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the new shooting backstop my father and I put together last weekend. It consist of 4, 8 foot pieces of 4.5" scrap oil field pipe we had laying around with 2 foot cemented in the ground and 10 railroad ties. I must say I think it came out better that I envisioned in my head. This way if we shoot a tie in half we just pull it out and replace it.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Neded.....YES !!

The indication of a deliberately built and maintained backstop,dedicated for shooting,is a real crowd pleaser. It lets others know how safe and concerned about safety us(we) shooters are.

A buddy and I constructed one on his property that was adjacent to a anti-gunners. We informed him that we would be (legally)target shooting(NOT spraying bullets)on the property. Before the first shot,we invited him over to take a look-see. He was clearly appreciative,but not altogether happy.

Anyway.....it made us happy that we had done the neighborly thing and informed him of the safety precautions involved and WE felt that it would somewhat put his mind at ease weather admitted or not.

Our backstop was constructed of truck tires stacked on top of each other and the inside was filled with crushed shale. It was still in use 10+ years after we built it. Even for 50BMG's.

Good Shootin' -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
^^ Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... there are some gaps between those planks.

Our backstop back home is literally a 50' tall (very nearly) vertical bank of dirt (basically a dirt cliff). I think it's about a 1000yds deep (from where our bullets hit and drawing a straight line until the topo line is crossed again ;)

·
Banned
507 Posts
I built my backstop with rail road ties as the core of the backstop. Then I state came by and dug out my culvert, they wanted to know if I wanted the dirt. So I have a mound of dirt in from of the backstip and behind it. I would say my backstop is at least 6 feet tall. This spring or summer I will finish the retaining walk behind the backstop and then have about 5 to 7 feet of dirt behind it all the way to the top.

Plus I got some damaged concrete parking blocks and cunchs of concete that will all go behind the backstop. Plus I am extending the height of the backstop with old sheet metal roofing and any steel door that I can find while I am dumpster diving.

At exactly 100 meters from my target carrier is my shooters bench.

The reason I put dirt in front of the backstop is so I mine the lead out of the backstop.

Jerry

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
travis.l.rider,

I do see the mound behind in the side shot. Nice stack of rail road ties.

I built my pistol range last year, that is basically a 4x8x4' box filled will logs and dirt. I dug out my old combat engineer field manual and it stated that you need 42" of clay (clay and sand is what I have near the coast) to stop a 7.62mm round for field fortafications. I keep my impacts in between the white 4x4"s (can screw a new sheet of plywood between the posts). The tires stop .22LR bullets from a rifle and are pulled and remelted down. Got some steel plates and a dueling tree that I place in front of the box. Don't do to much hi power rifle as range is only 42 yds to the front of my backyard, generally shot 25yd/m. Will increase the height later when I get home and build on the sides.

CD

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah there is about a 10 ft. tall by 20 ft. wide pile of dirt that we pushed up with a bulldozer behind it. We have been just shooting into the dirt pile for about 7-8 years now and decided to make something a lil nicer. No to mention you are shooting downhill and a slight angle and behind the dirt pile is about a 20 ft. deep empty creek and not a house for at least 5 miles. We left enough room beside the railroad ties to still shoot into the dirt pile. I dont want to trash our new backstop when I shoot the 50BMG or one of our machine guns.

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
looks good .. just don t count on it stopping an m1 with 06 military rnd in it..it might.. but ive seenum go though trees thicker than those ties..good luck..they ll work ,long as you use hunting ammo probably. slim jmo:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts