Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 6.5-06 built on a Mauser VZ.24 quite a few years ago. It's a really nice shooter. I initially had it installed in a Corelite composite stock, which was very functional, and it has accounted for 2 cow elk and a nice 5x6 whitetail thus far. It was a bit heavy, and a bit 'clubby' in the grip. I had a walnut stock made for it in quite a bit thinner profile. The blank came from a black walnut tree off the Salmon River, below Cottonwood, ID. I'm really happy with how it turned out, and it sure feels good. A few pics of it:

I may have ruined it...scared to take it out and scratch it up!:p

MikeG has the old Corelite stock on a pig gun, and he's already bloodied it!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,751 Posts
That looks nice! Is that the rifle that donated the stock on my .30-06? If so.... you did good!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,751 Posts
It's a win-win, then. You'd cry if your nice new stock was riding around the ranch on the dash of my bronco, and it would hurt like heck if I was shooting a .30-06 that didn't have a stock at all :eek:

;)

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,141 Posts
Nice looking rifle, Shawn.

Nice chambering, also. My Brazilian Mauser Mod 1908 with a Shilen ss barrel is chambered in the 6.5-06 and does quite well with 120 gr Sierra ProHunters and the 129 Gr Hornady SST's.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know you like yours kdub, and have done well with it. I started loading the 140 gr partition and ended there! I may have to venture out with some of your loads just to see how it does. I'll be taking the rifle out in the new stock this Saturday to the range to see if it still groups well. Our deer opener is Sunday the 10th and I'll probably be packing my Win Mod 70 25-06, but packing the 6.5-06 for the elk opener on the 15th.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I'd hate to actually shoot a 6.5/06, just because I might like it more than my .25/06s, on second thought, naw! That won't happen!

Good looking stock though! Can't beat the home grown lumber either!

·
Registered
931 Posts
That looks really sweet! How much would a stock like that cost? I'd do the refinishing myself, just the cost to have one made to fit.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I'd hate to actually shoot a 6.5/06, just because I might like it more than my .25/06s, on second thought, naw! That won't happen!

Good looking stock though! Can't beat the home grown lumber either!
.007" difference...not much to distinguish one from the other.

Now, that incredibly beautiful stock is a deal-maker! I hope it shoots just as well and isn't adversely affected by weather.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What's the wood in the forend tip?
I think he said rosewood, but have this nagging memory that it is ironwood. Rosewood would be 'normal'. Guess I'll have to clear that up.

jakeway, the blank was $300, all the work that went into it was $250. The $250 part I think is a smokin' deal

1 - 13 of 13 Posts