Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that we have a Handloading practices forum, which is for techniques and stuff, and we have a Handloading equipment forum, which is kind of for presses, scales and such. What I think would be nice to have is a Brass, Primers, Powder, & Bullets forum for the consumables. With so many new bullets, brass and powders on the market it might be kind of nice to have this to seperate from the Rifles and Rifle Cartridges.

·
Banned
505 Posts
I agree it might be worth a try! It would simplify things too!

·
Banned
502 Posts
Sounds good to me

Jerry

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,299 Posts
So how would you decide where a particular thread goes, since every handoad has powder, brass, primer, and bullet? And wads and buffer for shotshells?

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Precisely Mike. All that stuff would go in the new section. Example, if you want to talk about the 30-06, it goes in the rifle cartridges forum, if you want to talk about E-Tip bullets or Alliant's new MR 3000 powder that would go in the B&B forum.

·
Super Moderator
13,685 Posts
I think Mike's question is, if you want to talk about a .30-06 loaded using E-Tip bullets, how would you decide which forum it belongs in? Right now, the handloading procedures/practices forum is where different combinations of chambering, bullet, powder, and primer as well as methods of assembling them go.

Not knocking your idea. Just trying to understand the distinction you are seeing? Give some examples of where you are suggesting the lines might better be drawn?

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Handloading procedures and practices is for the techniques involved, ie. Full length sizing, neck sizing, runout measurement, etc.

Brass and Bullets would be for the actual component, such as new powders, new bullets, Lapua v. Remington brass, etc.

·
Super Moderator
13,685 Posts
That part is obvious, but a lot of handloading threads contain elements of both categories. For example, the OP asks for an accurate load for .270 Winchester? That will usually draw responses that include specific component combinations and seating depths or COLs and whether his purposes are best served by neck sizing or full length sizing?

Usually we decide where to put a thread based on the OP content, but you see what I mean about that question not really being specific to components or to loading technique alone? What Mike and I are asking is where would you put that OP, and why?

Or, are you suggesting we keep the Handloading forum in addition to new component and technique forums? I just re-read your first post title and thought maybe you mean we should create two sub-forums that appear at the top of the Handloading forum that are for posts specific to technique and components, respectively?

More clarification, please.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know how to make it any simpler...

Keep all the existing subforums, just add the component subforum in between handloading practices and handloading equipment.

·
Super Moderator
13,685 Posts
And which one would we put that post example in?

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would put your example in Rifle Cartridges.

A post asking about performance about Reloder 22 powder, Nosler E Tip bullets, quality of Magtech brass would be a thread to start in a Component subforum.

·
Super Moderator
13,685 Posts
My example asks for a handload, though (at least, that's what I intended; an example of one kind of post appears in the handloading forum now). I don't see how that goes into Rifles and Rifle Cartridges without turning that into handloading forum, as well?

But, looking through the most recent 20 posts in the Handloading Procedures/Practices forum, I would guess most would fit into a components forum.

This one would still be in limbo:
"Does anyone here load the 22 hornet? I am thinking of getting one of these guns and wanted to know if the loading for these small cartridges is a pain."

That will lead off into technique and components, both.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm still seeing technique as "should I neck size, how do I neck size", "What is involved in measuring runout and is it important" , "What process works for you" type questions and threads. I don't see powders and such in the technique side. They also aren't equipment and they aren't specific to handguns, rifles, or shotguns. I also don't think its fair that shotgun stuff is all lumped together and put at the bottom of the page like a red headed stepchild. I'm just sayin' ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts