Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always wanted a nice 20GA SXS shotgun at an affordable price. I was recently reading an article on shotguns imported by a company in Idaho called Huglu USA. These guns are made in Turkey. Anybody out there have any experiance with these firearms? I am no expert when it comes to shotguns.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Erik,

These guns appear to be a pretty good deal but I have as yet to handle one firsthand. While I was an active member at another message board, we got into a lengthy discussion on Huglus. The importer saw my posts and seeing I was being impartial, offered to send me one of my choice for a trial run if I could make a deposit on the cost of the gun if something happened to it. I didn't have the scratch at the time so couldn't take him up on the offer.

Without seeing and shooting one I'd say hold off. Look into the Ugartecha from Spain. They have models similarly priced to Huglu, are of known high quality, and would have good resale value. I don't think a Huglu would have much resale value at this time, only because it's still very much an unknown among serious gunners.

·
Registered
10 Posts
might also look into the offering from baikal. it is a lot of shotgun for $400. I got one last fall and used it quite a bit on quail. comes with tubes and looks pretty good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks, I appriciate the advice. That Ugartecha brand sounds like it is worth taking a look at.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Another option, if you're so inclined, would be to buy a used American SxS and rebuild it to your specifications. It might not be as elegant as an Ugartecha but it wouldn't take nearly as long to get and would be 100% home grown.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Huglu reviewed by Gunblast

Jeff Quinn of Gunblast.com recently reviewed the Huglu shotgun. While I don't know the Quinn boys, personally, they seem well respected. The review is fairly short, though he covers the fit, finish, balance, integrity and shooting of the shotgun. The reviewed can be accessed at:
http://www.gunblast.com/HugluUSA.htm

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Another option is a Browning B-S/S. These were made from the early `70s to the mid `90s. The early models have a single non-selective trigger and the later ones have a selective trigger. The selector is a cross-bolt in the rear of the trigger guard. Most are boxlocks with a pistol grip stock, but a few sidelocks with a straight grip & twin triggers are out there. The sidelocks are going for over two grand, last I heard. The 20s weigh about 6 1/2 lb. and aren't near as chunky as the 12s.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
416 Posts
Another option - Stoeger. I recently bought two, one 12 and one 20. Good fit and finish, nice crisp lockup and they swing sweet. Have no real USE for them, just really liked them.
DC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts