Shooters Forum banner

New Taylor/Uberti Schofield

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  DarkLord 
#1 ·
Shot my new 45 Colt Schofield revolver yesterday. Very pleased with the accuracy! Not only precise, but accurate at 15 yards out of the box.

After the first two shots touched, I got a little excited...and shaky.

Trigger needs some smoothing.

Got the 5" model because the 7" looked too muzzle heavy. However, this will not be replacing my plastic 9mm for EDC.

See less See more
#2 ·
VERY nice!! Pic of the handsome revolver, please?

#6 ·
It's darned sure a good looking piece of hardware! Despite being slightly more concealable than a brass trumpet, I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand as a serious fighting tool. If any sort of speed loaders for it exist, I suspect it could be reloaded faster than most swing-out revolvers (at least the ones NOT piloted by Jerry Miculek).
You don't mention what caliber your plastic EDC arm is, but I suspect that a single solid hit from the wheel-gun would be as or more decisive if a confrontation deteriorates to the point that shots are exchanged.

#8 ·
It's darned sure a good looking piece of hardware! Despite being slightly more concealable than a brass trumpet, I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand as a serious fighting tool. If any sort of speed loaders for it exist, I suspect it could be reloaded faster than most swing-out revolvers (at least the ones NOT piloted by Jerry Miculek).
You don't mention what caliber your plastic EDC arm is, but I suspect that a single solid hit from the wheel-gun would be as or more decisive if a confrontation deteriorates to the point that shots are exchanged.
Instead of reigniting the 9mm vs 45 debate, I'd just suggest that drawing and presenting the Schofield should end any confontation.
It is a substantial and impressive Big Iron!

#7 ·
Nice revolver; I had one in a .38 Special with the 7" BBL. Yes, the gun was muzzle heavy, but it made it easy to hold the sights on target and was very accurate. (I don't think the original Schofields were ever made in .45Colt.) Schofield ended up losing the "arms" contract to the 1873 SAA Colt. As the story goes, most Army posts had been issued .45Colt ammo on the "frontier", but none of the shorter Schofield cartridges! It has has also been reported, by some sources, that Jesse James preferred the .45 Schofield over the 1873.

#9 ·
As you point out, this arm has a very interesting history.
Major Schofield patented improvements to the SW#3 that made it handy for cavalry men to reload one handed...so it is claimed. But the cylinder was too short for the 45 Colt cartridge, so the shorter 45 Schofield was also adopted by the army.
Uberti lengthened the cylinder on his replicas to accept 45 Colt. Works fine for smokeless loads, but black powder loads quickly crud up the cylinder gap.
John Wesley Hardin was carrying a 5" Schofield when he was assassinated in El Paso.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.