Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on previous thread,the 180 gr speer was touted as usable(sp?) for hogs and fine for whitetail if shots could be picked.  i've been using 220 gr speer with max dose of h322 from speer # 13.  it is a little hard apparently for north ga. whitetail.  i've been thinking of changing to the 180, but had a question about what "picking shots" means?  if this means incapable of shooting thru both shoulders @ less than 150 yds, i'll pass.  also the 200 sierra rn was mentioned. i've allways been"chicken" of round noses in tubes with this much recoil.  ken waters in his pet loads series talks about giving the rn a lick or two with a flat file.  is this the procedure for this combo?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm interested in response to this also.  I am loading for a .35 Rem & have a large stock of 180 Speer FP's.  Haven't sent one at a deer yet though.  Most of my state is shotgun/handgun only.  I'm intending to take it on a hog hunt next year.  If the 180 gr FP is only "useable" for hogs, I don't see how it would be alot better for deer.  Another option for a jacketed FP is Hawk Bullets.  They will make 'em with any jacket thickness you want.  Anybody using them out there?

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
Weave,

I use the Sierra 200 gr. round nose without doing anything to the "point". I have never had a problem with them in the Winchester.

I too have found the Speer 220 gr bullet a little too tough for our Texas deer.
I have shot the 180 gr Speer some but was not happy with the acuracy in my rifle.

The Sierra and Hornay 200 gr round nose bullets have worked well for me and are accurate in my rifle. I use low power scopes and from the bench they will stay under three inches with any load combination. They will sometimes get under two inches, but I have to work for it!

I like IMR 4064 for all around use.

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
I forgot to mention there is an interesting article in the 2002 editionof the Gun Digest about trying to make cartridges "detonate" in a lever gun magazine.
VERY interesting reading.

·
Registered
50 Posts
All,
I have taken four deer with the 180 gr. Speer with a near max load in a .35 Rem and performance was outstanding.
I shot a 200 lb. Whitetail buck at 30 yds high through the shoulders, broke both shoulders and made a vary large exit hole. The other three were hit in the lungs at 30 to 75 yds and ran 30 yds.or so with large exit holes. This is about a 2200 fps load.

oldpete

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks for sharing the experience oldpete.  It gives me some confidence.  Busting both shoulders of a buck at 30yds sounds like adequate construction to me.  I'm using a max load of H335 and CCI primers in Win cases and get terrific accuracy (1-1/2 to 2", 3 shots).  Haven't cronographed it yet. I expect to take my Dad on a hog hunt next year and hope to finally use the gun for what it was built for instead of just poking holes in paper!

·
Registered
204 Posts
weave-

I seem to remember that a member who goes by "weatherbydude" posted some loads on Loadswap with the 200 grn Hawk F/N and the 250 grn Hawk F/N.  He stressed in his comments to approach the MAX loads carefully because the Hawk bullets seem to create more pressure than other brands in the same bullet weights.

If you try them please update the thread on your results.  I haven't got around to trying them yet but was planning to in my .356 once I got several other projects finished.

Any info you could pass along would be appreciated.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Dutch4122.   Might be awhile before I get around to it.  Just found out I am being relocated.  Guess I'll be doing alot of packing/unpacking over the next few months.  I have been meaning to try the Hawk jacketed bullets.  Haven't done it yet only because I have so many Speers lying around (and they shoot really well for me).  As soon as I am settled I am sure I will be placing an order though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts