Shooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new Tikka T3x 243 this is my 7th tikka an having some trouble. When I go to close the bolt it's really tight even if it's just a empty case I used a black sharpie an coloured in the bottom off the case an it's leaving a hea y mark on the the primer an around the bottom off the case even if it's primed or not any idea's tried adi cases Winchester federal an Remington so it's not a specific case

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have just bought a new tikka t3x an when I try to close the bolt it's super tight weather its a live round or even a spent case. I coloured in the bottom off the spent case to find the bolt is leaving a heavy mark on the case an primer. Has anyone came across this
Gesture Finger Currency Thumb Wrist

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,344 Posts
Welcome, I moved your first thread from Rimfire forum to here, and merged your second post from an old 2011 thread into this one. Those cases fired in your gun? Looks like a burr or mark of some sort from a defect on the bolt face, perhaps. Check around the ejector hole.

Reactions: Darkker

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
If you've only tried one brand of factory ammo and its too big, you probably have a tight tolerance rifle. That's a good thing. Look for burrs and check multiple cases. If it's tight on an unfired case only, you have a problem that needs a gunsmith.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,864 Posts
Looks like the OP has tried ADI, W-W, Federal and Remington and the same thing happens with all four.

1. Are you full length resizing?

2. Is this brass fired from this rifle?

3. Is the chamber as clean as possible?

4. What is your brass length?

RJ

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
The scar between the 2 and the A is pretty close to 60 degrees of travel. IF that's a short throw, three lug bolt, it means there's something on the bolt face that ain't supposed to be.

·
Super Moderator
14,168 Posts
The scrape pattern is identical from one end to the other, except for some extra indenting at the edge of the 2. I am thinking that's where pressure pushed the case head back against whatever the burr or protrusion is, and then, as the chamber opened, the now-longer case scraped against it. The gun has only two locking lugs, but if there is a short ramp, it might relieve the scraping pressure to clear it.

Reactions: crooked creek

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
You say it's 'super tight' to close it. Is that pushing the bolt forward or turning the handle down? If it's turning the handle down, that burr between the 2 and W is probably the reason. With a microscope a round trip burr is probably seen. Something is gouging the base of the case and the only thing touching and moving against the case is the bolt face.
The extractor bears on the extractor groove. Is it cutting a big gouge in the rim?
Next step is strip the bolt innards and try a DUMMY round or new case.
I think the Tikka is like a Sako, just turn the shroud away from the cocking notch and it all slides out under mainspring pressure.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Note that he said he colored the entire base, including primer, with a black magic marker (sharpie). There is very little remaining evidence of the black color, which would seem to indicate that the contact area is pretty much across the entire bolt face, not just where the rub mark exists. The primer would appear to be at least a little elevated above the base to have been rubbed almost completely clean of the marker. Question is whether the color gets rubbed off by bolt rotation when closing or opening the bolt, or both? Could be as simple as a tight headspace. A close photo of the bolt face would help. Additional photos of different cases would reveal whether the rub mark between A and 2 duplicates, which might tell us something(?). One case can be an anomaly, with the mark having a different source, no?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
If you go to the OP's 'Profile' and click on 'Latest Activity', you will see a thumbnail of the above photo. Click on that photo and it will open in a new tab. A '+' sign will appear when you put your cursor on the photo. Hover the '+' right on the primer indent and click. You will get a zoomed closeup that shows much more/better detail than the photo above in the post. You can see where the black marker was and what remains (not much).
He did not say if he has fired this new rifle, but obviously the case in the photo has been fired. If it was fired in a different rifle (used brass?), and not resized properly for this rifle, that could be a problem. He does say empties, with and without primers, exhibit the same symptoms. While the bolt face may indeed be 'rough', it could still be headspace (too little) related. More photos of additional cases and the bolt face would be helpful.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Just looked at the 'zoomed' view again, the rub mark actually carries through the 2, ending roughly at the 'tail' of the bottom line of the 2, and is deep enough to have narrowed the upward (from the bottom line) line of the 2. The primer indent also has a curious look to it, at about 10:00.

P.S. The 'smear line' through the 2 would seem to indicate the rub mark (gouge?) occurred with a 'counterclockwise' rotation of the bolt, thus, opening the bolt, with the case remaining stationary in the chamber. If correct, that would seem to support Nick's theory in #8 above.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
If the case fit the chamber right, would that burr cause a problem or maybe just turn the case in the action? If the case should fit the chamber properly wouldn't the case simply turn as the action is closed? Maybe the shoulder is to short or the leads to short?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
If the case fit the chamber right, would that burr cause a problem or maybe just turn the case in the action? If the case should fit the chamber properly wouldn't the case simply turn as the action is closed? Maybe the shoulder is to short or the leads to short?
One would think so. The OP has never said that he has tried, or had a problem with new factory ammo, right? He only makes reference to 'even' having the same result with empty cases, with and without primers. The 'live round' mentioned could still be a handload (by him or others) that was not sized correctly to fit his rifle.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
The case doesn't turn once it hits the chamber walls.

I want to know if that mark is made on all cases. If so, there's a burr on the bolt face. If not, there was something caught between the bolt and the case and its gone now.
Any rifle with zero headspace will wipe the marker off the base of the case. Finding a factory rifle with zero headspace is not at ALL common. Most have .005 to .010 over a GO gauge. Finding a factory loaded cartridge at zero headspace is very rare. GO plus anything in ammo is unheard of.
The Tikka should go back to Tikka. The DANGER is that the neck is undersized. The .243Win has a well-deserved reputation for blowing rifles badly from jammed necks in tight chambers. Necked down .308 brass is the biggest offender. Any rifle that closes hard on a factory round needs expert attention.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
But Jack, he never said he has tried fresh factory ammo. That would be the logical thing to do, but without his confirmation of same, we are assuming he would do the logical thing.
His first post says he tried four different brand of 'cases', not loaded rounds. He doesn't say if those cases are 'virgin', or resized, or fired in that particular rifle, only that some contained primers and some did not. His second post says "when I try to close the bolt it's super tight weather its a live round or even a spent case." In both posts he says when he "When I go to close the bolt" and "when I try to close the bolt". I'm not trying to do 'lawyer speak' here, but nowhere does he say he was actually able to completely close the bolt on either 'spent cases' or a 'loaded round' into battery.
From the flag in his profile, he is not in this country, so time differences may affect his response times (benefit of the doubt!) but he has not returned for review or comments since his initial posts...we may never see him again, and may never know for sure.
Without additional meaningful photos, we are all in the 'thousand word' routine trying to compensate for the missing photos!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,344 Posts
Yes, we are still waiting on important answers. Looks like the OP was on the board a few days ago. Hopefully he will come back to the thread and shed some more light on things.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
I totally agree. Only partial, incomplete, and possibly inaccurate answers can be given to incomplete questions. This one qualifies.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,243 Posts
You would think he would have chimed in by now!
Not if you paid attention to what MikeG said in post #3.😉

When it looks like a duck, and it acts like a duck...

Cheers

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.