Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have access to all of the old underground bellsouth/att cable wraps that I need, hundreds of pounds, I have never cast a bullet, so far I have reduced these wraps into 1.2 lb ingots

I will be casting a 400 grain bullet with a Buffalo Arms mold for a .40-65 Shiloh Sharps

is this pure lead

will adding 1 lb of tin to 20 lbs of lead be a good starting point

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have been told in the past that they are pure lead. I hope you have legal access to said sheathing. :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't know if they're pure lead or not. I would invest in a lead hardness tester (check Midway's web site).

The rule of thumb: When casting for black powder, use pure or very close to pure lead. It's softer and obdurates under the lower black powder pressures. When casting for smokeless cartridges, use a harder alloy (usually including tin and antimony).

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I have access to all of the old underground bellsouth/att cable wraps that I need, hundreds of pounds, I have never cast a bullet, so far I have reduced these wraps into 1.2 lb ingots

I will be casting a 400 grain bullet with a Buffalo Arms mold for a .40-65 Shiloh Sharps

is this pure lead

will adding 1 lb of tin to 20 lbs of lead be a good starting point
It's pure lead and adding said tin will make very nice bullets, but I'd do a 10 to 1 mix for a little harder bullet.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I worked for a power company and all the lead cable sheathing was pure lead. The company frowned on "borrowing" said sheathing and considered it stealing! Do you believe that?:eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts