Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
By all means, purchase the bottom pour pot! Also, in regard to lubrisizers, don't buy the Lyman because it's cheaper.... it's just that.... cheaper, and sooner or later you'll be disappointed in the unit.

The best of the bunch out there is the Star Lubrisizer, now manufactured by Magma Engineering. Following that it's a tie between the Saco and the RCBS sizing machines. I would probably choose the RCBS simply because of the standardization of sizing dies and top punches it utilizes, and their availability from wholesale catalog/online firms.

Also, don't scrimp by not purchasing a good casting thermometer. It will take much of the guesswork out of your casting sessions, help you avert much frustration, and allow you to produce a better quality product, much easier, and with more consistentcy than possible without it.

Finally, buy the very best bullet lube available. Bullets are no more effective or accurate than the lube used on them. Yes, there are lots of homemade lube recipes out on the internet, and they are an interesting diversion for the experienced caster wishing to add one more wrinkle to his self-sufficiency in bullet production, but best left until that time comes. Buy good lube and you'll have more gratifying results, faster.

FWIW.

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Regarding lubes: I've done extensive testing with lubes, and the Javelina lube, unless their 50/50 Alox Beeswax lube is not worth taking home. The Thompson lubes have been good stuff for years, but in extreme cold weather tend to break down, and lose not only their lubricity, but their ability to stay in lube grooves. Below freezing, their lubes tend to just turn to powder when jostled or vibrated on bullets in the least.

I've not heard adverse things about the Lyman Mag 20, and nothing but praise and good words for the excellent RCBS Propour. Good equipment to be sure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts