Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I haven't been hunting since 1991 up in Mount Shasta California, where I got a few Quail.

I am hoping to pick up a few beginner hunting tools:

USSG 12 Ga. Single Shot with modified choke

Crickett 22 Long Rifle Single Shot

and

Buckmasters Compound Bow

What type of game can I hunt with these tools? I would like to take deer, duck, pheasant and quail.

The whole point of getting into hunting was to go boar/feral pig hunting but a buddy of mine was walking through the woods in Mendocino county with his dogs when a pig attacked him. Busted him and one of the dogs up pretty good before he could take it down with his 9mm.

The places I would be hunting would be Mendocino County and Sonora. What is there in those area's I can take down?

Thank you all for helping a newbie.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
welcome to the shooters forum.

The Cricket is a youth (as in very young) rifle, it's really small. Have you seen one in person? You might want to opt for a fullsized .22.

With what you are looking at for guns you can hunt about anything in California with the right ammo.

Afraid I won't be much help on the bow, maybe someone else will weigh in on that.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,026 Posts
Mixon -

Welcome to the board and hope you will enjoy viewing the various forums here and contributing where able.

Your "Signature" line has been voided due to unauthorized advertising which is forbidden on the board. You must gain board owner's approval prior to advertising. A review of the Stickies at the beginning of the merchants subforum in the Trading Post forum will explain how to obtain this.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As I don't live in CA I am not aware of their firearms laws. The three weapon calibers you chose can be used to take just about any game. Like Montyf, I think I would opt fot a different 22 rifle as the cricket is a youth rifle for very small frame folks. By shopping the used market, you should be able to find your weapons at a very affordable price. Good luck in acquiring your weapons.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
welcome to the shooters forum.

The Cricket is a youth (as in very young) rifle, it's really small. Have you seen one in person? You might want to opt for a fullsized .22.

With what you are looking at for guns you can hunt about anything in California with the right ammo.

Afraid I won't be much help on the bow, maybe someone else will weigh in on that.
Thank You MontyF. I have seen the Cricket Model. I was looking at it as I have a daughter that I want to pass it down to. That gun would be used only for target and Jack Rabbit until she is ready for it. Pellet Gun for her first.

I don't know if I should go for Deer with the 12 Ga. and 00 shot or Slug, or just use the Bow for Deer during Bow season?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum. As I don't live in CA I am not aware of their firearms laws. The three weapon calibers you chose can be used to take just about any game. Like Montyf, I think I would opt fot a different 22 rifle as the cricket is a youth rifle for very small frame folks. By shopping the used market, you should be able to find your weapons at a very affordable price. Good luck in acquiring your weapons.
Thank you jodum,

The .22 would only be used for Targets and Jack Rabbits until my daughter is ready for it. I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I haven't hunted deer with a shotgun, but if i did probably go with slugs in an improved cylinder barrel. There are shotgun barrels that are rifled, I'd think that would be a step up.... just speculation on my part.

Passing the Cricket down would be a good reason to buy one. Just wasn't sure if you knew how small they are, was the reason I mentioned it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't hunted deer with a shotgun, but if i did probably go with slugs in an improved cylinder barrel. There are shotgun barrels that are rifled, I'd think that would be a step up.... just speculation on my part.

Passing the Cricket down would be a good reason to buy one. Just wasn't sure if you knew how small they are, was the reason I mentioned it.
MontyF,

Yeah I can't wait to get out there with my baby daughter. I think she is going to be a great little shooter. Not hunter but shooter. She loves animals way too much to ever want to hunt them I think but she love the thought of shooting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think if it were me and I wanted to be able to cover all my bases with the shotgun, I would go with something like a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 so I could change out barrels. It is not legal to hunt big game in CA with buckshot except for certain places.

I also enjoy shooting a .22 single shot, because you can usually shoot any of the rimfire rounds (long rifle, long, short, and birdshot), except for magnum.

With a bow, a .22, and a versatile shotgun, you should have all your hunting needs covered. You may want to consider a handgun at some point for backup when hunting hogs with your bow, but also remember that when bowhunting during a archery only season it is illegal to carry a firearm.

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
I would have to go with the 870 pumper. I have owned one for a zillion years now and it has never let me down(tell a lie, after a billion rounds it did break an extractor claw but I had a pack of spares, ten minutes, like new ). I have a skeet barrel and a 30 inch full choke plain barrel which I use for geese/ducks and flighting very high pigeon into woodland. If I was to choose a 22rf rifle which could be a) used by a youngster and then b) handed down in the future, I would go for the G2 Contender, Initially with the Junior stock and then afterwards a full size stock could easily be added, but their kids could refit the Junior in the distant future. Added to this the Contender could have dozens of choices for barrels, including shotgun barrels should they move to a State with sensible firearms regulations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think if it were me and I wanted to be able to cover all my bases with the shotgun, I would go with something like a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 so I could change out barrels. It is not legal to hunt big game in CA with buckshot except for certain places.

I also enjoy shooting a .22 single shot, because you can usually shoot any of the rimfire rounds (long rifle, long, short, and birdshot), except for magnum.

With a bow, a .22, and a versatile shotgun, you should have all your hunting needs covered. You may want to consider a handgun at some point for backup when hunting hogs with your bow, but also remember that when bowhunting during a archery only season it is illegal to carry a firearm.
Thank You for the tip on it being illegal to "carry" a firearm when bowhunting during archery season. I thought you could carry a sidearm. I would of gotten myself into a lot of trouble.

Truly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would have to go with the 870 pumper. I have owned one for a zillion years now and it has never let me down(tell a lie, after a billion rounds it did break an extractor claw but I had a pack of spares, ten minutes, like new ). I have a skeet barrel and a 30 inch full choke plain barrel which I use for geese/ducks and flighting very high pigeon into woodland. If I was to choose a 22rf rifle which could be a) used by a youngster and then b) handed down in the future, I would go for the G2 Contender, Initially with the Junior stock and then afterwards a full size stock could easily be added, but their kids could refit the Junior in the distant future. Added to this the Contender could have dozens of choices for barrels, including shotgun barrels should they move to a State with sensible firearms regulations.
I had just posted the below message here in the shotgun section, but haven't obtained any responses. I would like to go with this gun to get started:

I was going to purchase a new single shot shotgun recently when my mother said hey we still have your fathers old Winchester 37A 12 Gauge you can have.

2 3/4 - 3" chamber single shot. Introduced in 1973 and went until 1980 I believe.

Anyway the the Forearm Spacer broke years ago. My mother and father not being computer people didn't know you could just go online and order the $9 part. They took it to have it fixed and low and behold the gun shop went out of business and who knows what they did with the forearm (most likely sold it online somewhere).

So I am looking for a complete Forearm for it. I need the entire Forearm with the CATCH PLATE ASSEMBLY (FOREARM LOCKING DEVICE) attached to it.

Anyone have one of these dirt cheap?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Hi Mixon,

There is a lot of hunting opportunities in CA.

Mendocino County is a lot of private property (wineries). But if you can find a place, you might find a blacktail buck. The Northern Coast has a huge black bear population as well.

You might check classifieds for used rifles. Your bow will probably kill deer (I know nothing about archery), but a rifle in the .308 Win class will accord you greater options.

Best of luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts