Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just lucked up on rifle I had been looking for. A 1898 30-40 Krag in very good condition. As a military rifle lover I had been wanting a Krag for a long time but couldn't afford one. It has been sporterized but well done.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun Gun accessory

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a Model 1898 30-40 Krag made in 1901. The bore is clean and slugs at .309".
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Grass
The military stock was cut up so I replaced it with a Boyd's semi-inleted stock. Great gun, very smooth action.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Model 1898 30-40 Krag made in 1901. The bore is clean and slugs at .309". View attachment 102607 The military stock was cut up so I replaced it with a Boyd's semi-inleted stock. Great gun, very smooth action.
Mine was made in 1902. Peep sights had been added which I am glad as my old eyes don't see regular open sight any longer.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,995 Posts
Nice find, John............Now, to find out how well it shoots!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
that's a fine looking rifle!!!!

i have two sporterized 1898s,

heirloom(my great grandfather) is a 1903

1901 krag

i also have two more to build

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Very nice rifle, congrats!

Hadn't noticed you post lately, great to see you here and still buyin' 👍

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Some mighty fine looking rifle guns here. I've always had a soft spot for a Krag, never owned one or fired one. Maybe some day?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice rifles and some of the smoothest actions around.
I have a pair of original rifles and with the handholds my buddy used to do for me even with my tired old eyes it was a killer on water filled 1 gallon milk jugs at 140 yards.
Gary

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I bought one like that back in the early 60’s with a Lyman 48 peep sight for $35 . I was even a ale to buy original military ammo. That thing could shoot.
i started to use cast boolits and the krag about 9 years ago and i found that deer don't like the 165gr ranch dog with h4198 at 1924fps. my oldest son has killed a doe at 173 yards(laser range finder thingy/ longest shot on a deer with that boolit/rifle). i usually shoot deer at 50 yards and less.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts