Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just purchased a 50 cal. CVA Accura and put a Nikon Omega with BDC reticule on it. I plan to use Blackhorn 209 powder and Barnes TMZ bullets with sabots. What accessories do you recommend I purchase or need. Keep in mind I'm a hunter and not really in to the "serious" side of muzzleloading. I'm looking for a no-nonsense approach to hunting with a muzzleloader. Thanks for all your suggestions! :)

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
A few .50cal speedloaders, a T-handle short starter/ramrod extender (for both bullet starting and cleaning), and possibly a pivoting T / Power handle for your ramrod tip.

If you get a lot of blowback, a scope protector (bra) might be considered.

·
Banned
126 Posts
Is all according to what you call no-nonsense. You are not shooting cartridges, but loading from the muzzle. I suggest staying away from the pellets. They are more expensive and I have seen them follow the bullet half-burned and whizzing around like a rocket gone wild. Most of thr time, I see people stuffing three pellets into the barrel. This is also not a good idea. It is too bad people are geting away from the traditional rifles for the in-lines. A patched round ball has more killing power and penetration than a sabot.

·
Inactive account
513 Posts
For that rifle with that powder: 1. powder flask with a spring loaded release; 2. powder measure that'll handle at least 110 grains of powder; 3. t-handle range use ramrod w/ appropriate loading jag; 4. appropriate caliber wire bore brush 5. small wrench for removing breech plug (for my CVA Kodiak, I use a 1/4" drive ratchet handle and appropriate socket); 6. breech plug thread grease; 7. little wire pick for running up through breech plug flame hole; little plastic tool that eases the placing of the 209 primers; patches for cleaning; speed loaders for hunting.

With BH 209, which I really like alot, after using everything else including a boat load of Goex black powder, I have found that picking the flame hole and running a couple of tight dry patches down the bore every 8 shots or so is better than not. Have fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.