Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Hornady Lock-N-Load Progressive Press, and am using Redding 10mm/.40 Titanium Carbide Pro-Series Dies. My problem is that every other case I resize/de-prime, ends up with a wrinkle at the bottom - close to the neck. Is this caused by something I am doing wrong, or is it cheap brass? The brass is once fired, and was loaded from the factory with frangible ammo for my sheriff's office. Any help with this matter would be GREATLY appreciated. I would also love any other tips for .40 reloading that ya'll would feel appropriate.

·
Banned
490 Posts
My first guess would be that some of the empty cases are not being fully inserted into the shell holder, and are being forced into the die at an angle. That will bend or wrinkle the cases. It could be that there is some debris in the shell holder that prevents the case rims from entering fully, or that there is a procedural error in inserting them.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I'm lost; a "wrinkle at the bottom close to the neck"? We need more concise info!

The .40 loads the same as others of its type, no uncommon tips apply.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wildhobbybobby, The setup for placement into the shellholder on my press is pretty straight forward. I will double check to ensure this isn't the issue. Thanks for the reply.

ranger335v, what I meant by wrinkle is the top 80%-90% of the casing is resized just fine. The bottom 10%-20% ends up either not properly sized, bulged, or a physical wrinkle is put in the case wall.

Close examination of the action shows the die is adjusted to meet with the shellholder properly at the bottom.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I'm betting this brass you are getting is coming from a Glock. Glocks have very "generous" chambers that make the brass look "pregnant". Redding makes a die for this, its called a GRx die and is specifically designed to resize this portion of the case.
http://www.redding-reloading.com/pages/grxpushthru.html

Unlike human anatomy, the head and neck are not next to each other on a cartridge case, the part you are referring to is the case head.

Welcome to Shooter's Forum!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks mattsbox99, That is exactly what it is. All of my brass came from Glock 23's, and from your reply and my other reading, you seem to be dead on. Thanks for the great advice.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
No problem, now it is very important that you stick to target loads and absolutely no lead bullets with the factory Glock barrel. If you push the loads, you will seperate a case and it will hurt. I've seen dozens of KaBooms in my competitive shooting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good advice... Thanks!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Olay, so the "bulge" is down by the head, not the mouth, that computes. And the (Glock) bulge is there before sizing, it's not caused by the sizing. That computes too.

Mr. Mattsbox is right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL.... Yeah, like I said, I am new to it.... but thanks to you guys, I'll get straightened out in a hurry. I'm sure this won't be the last "question" I end up with.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have the G-RX die, and it really works. I kept a pile of brass fired in Glocks that had the pregnant bulge, that regular sizing would not remove. I can use them now. One pass through the die and the bulge is gone. You need to lube the cases before using the die. I bulk lube them by dumping some cases in a plastic tub and spraying lube on them and shaking. You still have to size them in your regular die before loading, as the G-RX die does not fully size the whole case. I got my Redding G-RX die from Midway for about $34.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the recommendation GBertolet, I just ordered the G-RX Die from Midsouth Shooters supply for $28. Along with a couple cans of Lyman spray on case lube.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I've loaded hundreds of 40 and 45 that have been fired in Glocks and refired in Glocks. You guys must have much better eyesight than me, because I never notice the "pregnant" look that everybody claims the Glock has, I think that tends to be exaggerated. Most modern pistol designs don't have a fully supported chamber, the Glock is just a little more so. But is not redically different from a lot of other designs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I never noticed the "bulge" until my resizing die made it clearly visible. $28 for the Redding G-RX is an easy fix.

·
Registered
583 Posts
interseting question. I've been scavenging a lot of discarded 40SW brass discarded by other shoters, some of them likely from glocks. Will the cases resize and cycle in a non-glock or will they require the G-RX die to bring them back to spec? my only 40 SW is an FNH.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For me, the bulge was not noticable until I ran the case through my resizing die. Then, it was VERY apparent and sometimes even caused a wrinkle in the case. I have since received my G-RX. It is slow and a pain in the butt, and the shell pusher does not work properly with my Hornady L-N-L progressive press, but I have modified it a bit and the G-RX die certainly performs as advertised. Once the brass is through the G-RX, my resizing/decapping die works perfectly and the cases come out the way God intended.

·
Banned
205 Posts
Sounds like a simple question, but are your sure that you are using reloadable brass? There are some very pretty freebies out there that are no good for reloading. Many are Law Enforcement Rounds.

·
Registered
70 Posts
interseting question. I've been scavenging a lot of discarded 40SW brass discarded by other shoters, some of them likely from glocks. Will the cases resize and cycle in a non-glock or will they require the G-RX die to bring them back to spec? my only 40 SW is an FNH.
I to pickup range brass and reloaded it! ? HHHMMM makes me wonder :(

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
You can try a few, they should. I shoot competitively with a lot of people that shoot glocks and I've inevitably picked up some of their brass. I've never had one blow up or not chamber. I am using a Para Ordnance, this gun has a fully supported chamber.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've never heard of "non-reloadable brass" with the exception of the berdan primed surplus and Blazer stuff. How would anyone know the difference? Once run through the G-RX and my resizing die, the brass looks brand new.......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts