Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fairly new to shot-shell reloading but inherited two MEC presses from my dad's garage which i have gotten cleaned up, replaced a few parts and are in good working order. I have quite a load of components as well that i would like to make use of if possible for shooting clays.

Here is a list of what i have:

Hulls
20g - Peters Target 2 3/4 (about 1000)
12g - Peters Blue 2 3/4 (about 500)
12g - Win AA red low brass 2 3/4 (about 250)
12g - Win AA red high brass 2 3/4 (about 250)

Powders
1 lb of WIN 540
1 lb of WIN 473AA
1 lb of 20/28

Primers
Nearly full box of (1000) WIN 209 Primers

Wads
12g - WAA12 (250)
12g - WAA12r (250)
12g - WAA12blue (250)
20g - Rem SP20 (200)
20g - WAA20 (500)

Shot
#4, #6, #8 Lead Shot (1) 25lb bag of each

I am looking for some advice on loads for specifically the 20 Gauge hulls that i have. They seem to be in very good condition. It is hard to find data on the Peters hulls. I do have the Lyman 3rd edition... and am planning on picking up the most recent one as well. But have not been able to put together anything with all of these components. Seeing as my dad used to reload both 12g and 20g using these components... i can't find a recipe that matches everything!

Many thanks for any advice you may have.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I have an old Winchester booklet that shows these but its packed away from when I moved.:( I used the 540 in 20 ga AA type hulls to build nearly 3" magnum loads of #6 shot when lead was still legal for ducks. I also used the 473, likely for lighter loads but I would not venture to guess at the load data. I hope all of these were stored well because heat can be an enemy that will change all sorts of things.:confused: The wads and hulls will become brittle and the primer and powders can change in strength. I've had this happen to me personally, mostly from storing things in Southern attics.:eek:

Personally, I would upgrade to a Lyman #5 handbook.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Powders --

20/28 is a current Alliant powder, load data from their website

540 is a discontinued powder, is identical to Hodgdon HS-6. Hodgdon is so in love with their Longshot powder that they have neglected their HS-6. Limited data on their website.

473AA is another discontinued powder. I can't find any of my old Winchester manuals, somebody here must have one.

Some of your wads are current and you shouldn't have any problems finding load data.

The Red wad is discontinued. It was originally made for 1 1/8 ounce loads in their high base paper hulls. Now it is mostly used for heavy loads in modern hulls (likely paired with the 540).

I don't recollect ever seeing a WAA12Blue wad. Maybe a Blue Duster wad? That's a replacement wad for the WAA12. Or a Blue Verelite wad? That's a pretty good (discontinued) 1 1/4 ounce wad.

Suggest you get a load manual, it will cover the current supplies you have. Most folks like Lyman's, I like "Reloading For Shotgunners".

DC

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Here are some pages I copied from the Twelfth Edition of the Winchester Reloading booklet which I thought might apply. I'm not recommending this data, just providing it. The top page seems to be cut off but it applies to 12 Ga Winchester AA Compression-Formed cases.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. Thank you for all of that Data,

I attached photos of the 20g and 12g hulls that i have to Positively identify exactly what they are. From what everyone has told me, they should use the same data as current Remington hulls?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Those are nice hull photos.

The blue 12-ga hull is a Remington product, either a "Blue Magic" or a "Peters Target Load". They are almost identical in appearance. The Peters Target Load hull replaced the Blue Magic hull, with an improved plastic tube and a different primer. They reload with the same data as the current STS, Nitro Gold, Gun Club, Sport Load, Shur Shot, etc., unibody hulls.

The yellow 20-ga hulls appear to be the Remington Premier hulls, and they too will take the same loads as current Remington Unibody hulls. The appropriate online reloading data from Alliant is listed under "Plastic Shells (STS)", and under Hodgdon-Winchester-IMR as "RXP, Premier, and STS". My copy of Winchester's Loading Data, 10th edition 1989, shows the same data set as O'connersun's above, but without the WSF powder listing.

--Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts