Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never liked Glocks because I held the belief that I needed an external thumb safety/hammer drop like my Beretta 92FS has. I finally broke down and bought a Glock 17 Gen4 with night sites however, and absolutely love it. Can't believe I waited this long to get on board the Glock train. It isn't as "pretty" as the H&K, Sig, FN, or Beretta - but I love the simplicity and quality. This is a great gun!

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Glocks are excellent CCW pistols! They are ultimately reliable under all conditions as tests have proven over the years. We have several Glocks in our home and the model 20 Glock in 10mm really does a fabulous job.;)

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
On my third Glock here.
G19...9mm
G21sf...45acp
G23...40cal.

What's nice about them is the simplicity. Every one of them operates the same. Every 3.5 trigger feels the same. Factory sights are good, just fill the bucket. The finish is bulletproof, just a wipedown with a gun cloth. Only 5 points to oil.
Only 35 parts to the firearm. If you have a way, take the armorer's class. It'll really open your eyes to this design!

Thumb safties are good, but the safety you must rely upon the most is the one between your ears. Get a good quality holster, and keep that trigger finger indexed at all times.....practice that. Trigger finger discipline on all handguns, especially Glocks, is paramount.

Stay away from lead bullets in all of them tho, as Glocks have shallow hexagonal rifling, which don't take well to lead.

Good shooting!:cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
i own a glock 19 and a 23, my wife has a 26. glocks are good handguns. Has anyone checked out the glock 33 in 357. my wife is wanting a bigger caliber. any opinions?

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
i own a glock 19 and a 23, my wife has a 26. glocks are good handguns. Has anyone checked out the glock 33 in 357. my wife is wanting a bigger caliber. any opinions?
I've shot the G31 in .357sig. it was as 'snappy' as the G23. While you are getting more velocity and energy in the .357sig, you are really not getting any 'bigger' caliber.

Why not let her shoot the G23, and see if she likes that? If she's god to go with the G23, you could always get a G27.

·
Banned
397 Posts
I shoot a Glock 34 in IDPA shooting. I don't like the Glock triggers
as much as a trigger on a single action semi-auto. I realize that the
trigger is part of the design and meant to be that way but I still don't
like it that much. I have been shooting the Glock for months and I
dragged my Browning Hi-Power out the other day and shot it some.
After the Glock it felt like it was shooting by itself it was so easy to
hit with.
Zeke

·
Registered
70 Posts
Glocks

As a firearms intructor who worked for 5 years at Front Sight, we always were happy to have a student show up for a handgun class with a Glock in his/her holster. The Glock is very easy to learn on and even easier for the instructor to teach a student how to safely and quickly become a competent and proficient shooter.

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
After years of shooting 1911s I bought a G23 and then shortly afterward a G22 with adjustable sights. I've always loved the Glocks flawless function even though the trigger feels like a flexable piece of plastic nailed to a 2x4.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
The biggest plus for myself owning several GlOCKS, is the fact there are NO External Safeties to flip off or "De-cocking Levers" to operate. I have arthritis in the hands (thumb joints bad) and the Glocks are the answer to my prayers for a pistol I can operate properly and accurately. I carry the model 29 sub-compact in 10mm and alternate between It's big brother the model 20 in 10mm or the model 21-sf in .45acp. I have yet to have problem with any of our 7 Glock pistols in various calibers between the wife and I. We also reload our own ammo for these pistols...............Though they may be UGLY in the eyes of some, including myself, they are tops as a production pistol for self-defense!!!;)

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
ya know, I just traded for a G21SF, and the jury is still out on it. It is utterly reliable no matter what ammo, and while a BIG gun, it is comfortable and controlable. Mine has the ambi mag release & Picatinny rail under, and while I am not a fan of hanging things on pistols, you could hang a bipod on this thing it's so big!!!!:eek:

I'm thinking that's the detraction from it for me...

But it sure does shoot nice!!!!;)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,710 Posts
Now that is funny!!!!

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
You should have heard me laughing just snappin' the shot!

·
Registered
816 Posts
That could be handy shooting off of a bench.:D On a serious note, I really like the feel of the new Generation 4 Glock over the standard model 22 I have. The rough textured grip feels real good in the hand and the slimmer grip gives a better purchase on the gun. I think out of all the things Glock has done over the years to tweak their line-up this may be the best. I haven't shot one yet but I will be in the near future.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I carry the model 29 sub-compact in 10mm
Same here. ;)

The Glock auto pistol is a beautiful machine. The G29 is just downright awesome. If there's a fight that can't be stopped with 11 rounds of 10mm.........RUN!!!!!

I also have a G23 and a G27 and love them all. There's never any doubt that there will be a bang when you tighten up so long as there's ammo in the well.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I have a half dozen or so 1911 model pistols down in the vault and most are the .45acp caliber. Kimbers, Colts, Springfield and Par-Ordinace but they are useless to me for a CCW weapon. The model 21-SF is one heck of a pistol for those who favor the .45acp! The only problem I have ever had with a GLOCK was the "ambi-safety" on the model 21-sf. It just needed to be worked back and forth some and now it is peaches and cream on the firing line. This pistol shoots 4 inch groups off handed in my hands at 20 yards, I am not complaining one iota, off the rest it shoots 2.5 inch groups.:)

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I've had G19 down range and have a G19 by the bed for the wife when I'm deployed. They work but I hate the trigger. The G19 replaced my Smith 6904 which will go back to doing carry work between my M1911 (still do a lot of open carry). Personally I still prefer a manual external safety. Never cleared leather or brought up a rifle and not remembered to take the safety off. Its a training issue which can be overcomed. Army has that old saying, "train as you fight, fight as you train", which I've found to be true.

CD

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome to the Glock family! Now you just have to feed the addiction, and purchase a compact or subcompact for concealed carry (if that's your thing, and allowed by law in your state) :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Glock 17

Went to the range today and shot my model 17. Shot a box of ammo and destroyed three bullseyes
I haven't shot this gun in five years and was amazed at how easy it was to hit three inch bulls from 11 yards. My favorite pistol by far.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts