Shooters Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought one of the Teslong bore scopes off Amazon. I got the model that just plugs into your computer or phone, it only cost ... around $70ish.

BUT, now I have scared myself. I looked inside 2 barrels, so I could use some advice. There have been several posts on here commenting about just how crude the inside of a barrel looks to the newbie. Yup, it shore do!!!!

So give me some advice on just how bad this is. This is a new, never fired, .30 cal 1:10 twist barrel I just bought. A few days ago I thought I should run a few patches though it w/ JB Bore paste in preparation for it's first firing. I felt a few places where I thought it might be a bit rough, so when I got my bore scope today of couse I had to use it. What do you think?
Before you get to worried: pull a hair from your head and look at it with the scope to gain perspective about what you're seeing. About 5 years ago I bought a Lyman scope and had the same reaction you did.....LOL! Laughing with you!!!!
If you look at a new factory barrel you'll see some interesting things. Sako, Tikka, Winchester & Browning "generally' have decent looking barrels, but Savage, Ruger and Remington will scare you..... Enjoy:cool:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I bought one of the Teslong bore scopes off Amazon. I got the model that just plugs into your computer or phone, it only cost ... around $70ish.

BUT, now I have scared myself. I looked inside 2 barrels, so I could use some advice. There have been several posts on here commenting about just how crude the inside of a barrel looks to the newbie. Yup, it shore do!!!!

So give me some advice on just how bad this is. This is a new, never fired, .30 cal 1:10 twist barrel I just bought. A few days ago I thought I should run a few patches though it w/ JB Bore paste in preparation for it's first firing. I felt a few places where I thought it might be a bit rough, so when I got my bore scope today of couse I had to use it. What do you think?
Your barrel looks much better than several I've looked through with my Teslong bore scope. You have to shoot it to see if it performs to your requirements, but your barrel will likely never give benchrest type results. If it will regularly give 1" groups at 100 yds. (after you've tuned your load), that would be acceptable for large game hunting. You didn't say which 30 cal. cartridge for which your rifle is chambered, or your intended use. I've had some really nasty looking barrels that have benefited from running the 50-shot series of Tubb's Final Finish bullets through them.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts