Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hello from Scotland~

Ive just purchased my 2nd Marlin lever action a marlin 1894 CL .218 Bee Serial No. 1008**** it also carry's a British proof house stamp 1990

I like this rifle, triggers a bit heavy but reckon im going to have some fun with the Crows, Rooks, Hares and Foxes !

With the 3-9 x 40 on top inital range tests show crows out to 200 yards should be very careful :D

Plenty of load testing to do with this rifle starte with speer 46 gn FN but my local shop tells me his supplier is stopping holding them. Looking at trying 34 gn /40 gn V-max or perhap 45 gn Hornet bullets.

Nice little rifle very neat extremely light !

Regards Englander

·
Registered
517 Posts
Very nice - watch out crows!

·
Beartooth Regular
2,139 Posts
Englander,
I took the liberty of editing out part of the serial #. You never know what kind of crooks surf the net!

BTW, nice rifle! I've kind of looked for one of those locally and at shows, but I've never seen one yet. Probably wouldn't have the $ when I saw it anyway!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Englander - Nice rifle! I wish Marlin would make another run of these rifles or Davidson's would request a run from them! Good shooting! CEJ...

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,944 Posts
Hmmmm...................!

You pose an interesting question, Englander - the Hornady V-Max and normal soft nosed bullets are pointed, although the V-Max is plastic. I don't know what the reaction will be with the plastic tips in a tube magazine, especially one with very low recoil.

You could always load single-shot, I suppose.

·
Beartooth Regular
601 Posts
I swapped for one of these last winter and was instantly surprised by its accuracy. I have since been just reloading my big bores, but I am going to start on the Bee tomorrow. This is a fun little gun and I am told that with hot loads it is deadly out to 150 yards.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Englander-

Congrats on the new rifle! I have it's twin in .25-20 and a nice shotting rifle it is.

Re: Trigger pull - An easy do it yourself improvement can be had to lighten the pull from the 4#-5# range it probably has now down to as low as 2.5# is described in the book by Mic McPherson - "Accurizing The Factory Rifle". It amounts to bending the trigger block return spring and the trigger spring to apply less pressure to the trigger. I've worked a number of my Marlins over & the improvements are well worth the few minutes needed to do it. While you have it apart - a light treatment with "action magic" from Brownells to the sear, hammer & pivot surfaces will really put on the finishing touches.

Good shootin'

Sky C.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts