Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first time posting to this site. I have been looking at wildcats and cast bullets for the first due to this site and need some quidance. I have a .308 length 700 action and would like to set it up as a mid-bore cast bullet shooter for use on large whitetail, blackbear and feral hogs. Not concerned with velocity, all shooting will be within 200 yards. Any suggestions on caliber?

Tom

·
Beartooth Regular
2,160 Posts
Sounds like the perfect application for a .358 Win unless you just have your heart set on a wildcat. If it's a wildcat you want, what about a .400? I've never explored the possibility, but Fireplug has done some groundwork for a .416 he calls the 416 TAS. Do a search for it on this board and you'll get some interesting info. IDShooter

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
There's also a thread around here somewhere about the 338/08. I've always thought that would make an incredible midrange cartridge for just about anything.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, the 338-08 and the 358 were two that I was thinking of. I was leaning more towards a 358 due to the larger frontal area when using cast bullets. Being my first forray into the world of cast bullets in a modern firearm I was wondering if either of them would do the job. I've had good success with soft lead slugs in a .45 muzzle loader and was wondering how the smaller, harder slugs would stack up.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
For your intended purpose, I think both would perform extremely well. I cannot speak from experience and give the platform to those who do. The 358, probably does make a bit more sense because of factory available brass. As far as terminal performance, I doubt there would be a nickel's worth of difference between the two using cast as both would be excellent.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Guys,

I read a while back that Paco Kelly is working on a .375/.358 Win...... a .375 Win on steroids.... sounds like a thumper to me.

Lobo in W.Va.

·
Banned
176 Posts
IDShooter

Thanks for pointing my humble wildcating effort out as a potential candidate cartridge.

Tom A

My .416 TAS is designed to fit mini rather than short actions, thus I wanted to warn you that it would not produce the most performance that you can get in your larger action and that you might need a spacer block in the magazine. If, however, 1700 to 1800 FPS for 335-375 grain .416 bullets sounds like what you want it may be just the ticket.

I can also suggest three rounds for big bore cast bullet bolt actions that your action size can use that the actions my .416 TAS was designed for can not use that will out perform my admitedly specialty cartridge: the .375/.284, the .444 Howell, and the .416 BTB. The .416 BTB is IMO the best designed cartridge for the task, but will also require the most work to your action. The .375/.284 is a compromise here requiring less fitting, but not quite the same level of suitability for cast bullets. The .444 Howell is simply a rimless twin of the Marlin and since it is based on a shortened .30-06 case is a very simple round to fit to your action, but since it headspaces on the case mouth it has a whole new set of complications.

Now I may get myself in trouble both because as a great fan of .35 calibers I am for once going to offer an opinion against them, and because my in next statement I am going against the opinions of some more experienced hunters and shooters. I believe that for medium and big game non- expanding bullets (cast or solid) below .375 caliber really are not the best choice for humanely quick kills. Before the beating begins, let me clarify that I know they are proven adequate and are used by many with more hunts to their credit than me, but I think most will agree (after their blood pressure returns to normal) that for a purpose built rifle for cast or solid bullets .375 and up (maybe even .400 and up) has a clear edge.

Fireplug

·
Banned
548 Posts
Tom -

Don't forget flexibility. The 358 will shoot ALL of the 9MM and .357 pistol bullets made, lead and jacketed. I have done this with the 35 Whelen, and it was too much fun...accuracy with small doses of Univeral Clays and Hornady XTPs was one hole at 50 yds cooking along at 1700 fps. High rotation rate and thin jackets makes them devastating for varmints.

Then when you want to get serious, you can go to the many good cast .358s and shoot one holers at 100 yds. Brass and the rifle will last forever.

The 300 gr Hawk .358 Bullets, ordered with .025 soft jackets will stop anything in North America at 2100 fps.

Good luck!

·
Banned
176 Posts
"Before the beating begins, ... (after their blood pressure returns to normal)"

I need to point out for those new to BTB's forum that the above quote from my previous post is just in fun, since unlike most firearms and hunting forums BTB's is always about respectful sharing of information and debate of opinion.

Because none to long ago I was the newbie here and appreciated the difference here I did not want the above to give anyone the impression that they or their ideas will be berated here.

Fireplug

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Fireplug,
I don't think anyone took offense, seemed pretty clear the statement was made jovially. ;) I certainly thought it was. You have always posted clear and polite information (and mighty good stuff too!!). If you doubt that some of the information you meant in jest won't be taken that way, you can always add a "Smilies" within the text. I'm sure no one took offense though.:D

·
Banned
176 Posts
Thanks alyeska338.

My concern was that Tom A was a first time poster here and I did not want him to think that we were likely to get into any of those 100 post digital scream fests some places are prone to have.

I use some other sites too but I am thick skinned and hard headed and know what I am getting into, but I guess I want others to know that BTB is different in case they are not.

Fireplug

1 - 12 of 12 Posts