Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Just read an article in petersons February issue about the upcoming new cartridge. A 20 grain bullet at 3,000 fps out of a rimfire sounds pretty sweet. Savage is making a rifle for this caliber with some centerfire features like rear locking lugs .Maybe a new semi close coyote gun for me. Anyone else check it out?

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Welcome to the Shooter's Forum and thanks for the first post.

A buddy was talking about it the other night, but haven't seen or read anything myself. Since the 17HMR has served me very well as a close range prairie dog gun, I'd only imagine the 17SM would be more of a good thing. A couple things make me wonder... the 17 caliber bullets are very succeptable to wind drift and I don't see this one as the exception, but the 500FPS more should lessen it. The other thing that bothers me is jumping on the Band Wagon with anything new especially with a rimfire. You are totally dependant on factory ammo.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
I am excited about the Super Magnum. I intend to upgrade from the 17 HRM to the new Super Magnum from Winchester.
I do not believe this will be a coyote cartridge. The 17 HRM does not have the impact energy for critters above 15 ponds and I don’t see this one as a body shot, coyote cartridge either.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I love the .17 HMR but am not all excited about this latest rimfire. I simply think that if you need more horsepower than the .17 HMR you need to be shooting a centerfire. Either the .17 Hornet, .204 Ruger or .223.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I love the .17 HMR but am not all excited about this latest rimfire. I simply think that if you need more horsepower than the .17 HMR you need to be shooting a centerfire. Either the .17 Hornet, .204 Ruger or .223.
I agree with your statement. I can reload .223 cheaper than buying a box of 17 Super Mag. and have a flatter shooting bullet that can shoot Prairie dogs out to about 500 yards.

I did read on another thread where people were stating that there local regulations prevented them from using centerfire for certain hunting. I can't speak to whether this is true or not, but in that case, it's a very good round and should be well received.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts