Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone who owns or has shot and handled these new winchesters, what do you think? extreme weather composite/fluted stainless in 270 really interests me. any comments appreciated.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
winchester model 7o extreme weather ss

I OWN THREE WINCHESTER MODEL 70 EXTREMES IN 30-06,300WSM AND 325 WSM.after sighting them in at one hundred yards, all three bullets were touching in one ragged hole .workmanship and quality is excellent,regards MARC

·
Registered
12 Posts
winchester model 7o extreme weather ss

they are all scoped with leupold vx-111, 3.5x 10 40 mm with boone and crocket reticles,In my opinion one of the best scopes out there, for features and long range shooting if required,regards marc

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
love the leupolds. hey help me out - not an extreme win but looking at winchester M70 classic sporter serial #35AMP02757 made BACO inc. Morgan, UT classic pre-64 style jeweled claw extractor , CRF controled round feed, adjustable MOA trigger, 24" blue barrel never fired. walnut one small nick -is this a new FN product manufactured here or what and if it isn't is there quality issue, comes with a leupold VarII 3-9x40 with leuplod rings/base asking 800.00 what do you think?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
boys made my choice and bought her, the win M70/leupold and will get back later with pics and performance, thanks to one and all, alec

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
boys made my choice and bought her, the win M70/leupold and will get back later with pics and performance, thanks to one and all, alec
I knew you'd see the light about that M70 !! :D What chambering?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
" EYESSSSSSS SEE DA LIGHT LORD " it's in a .270 cal , was really intrigued with the .270 wsm but for OTC ammo cost and availibility went with tried and true 270 love the 130gr rd and once I find one that hammers home I'll shoot everything with that offering. stock up and start putting rds down range at every concievable angle, up hill down hill 50yds to 300yds and get real confidence in hitting where I expect to. I owe that to the game I am about to take. I am really hoping the FN winnie M70 sporter will be good enough right out of the bx and the guy who sold it to me will give me a 250.00 discount on the Leupold if I want to swap out for a Nikon monarch 5-20x44 SF( little better for these older eyes, but gain about 0.5lbs weight and add about 150.00 to rig, but that 20x can sure help place those bullets better and the 5x leaves one still able to hit runners in walk up situations) anyway thank you my fellow winnie( love that saying that) conaseur( **** hope I spelled that right) keep at em buddy

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've got one and so has Dad in 7mm 08! Absolutely wonderful. Click on my profile and have a read! What would I like to see in the latest model 70's? Model 70's in 223, and the option of a metal box magazine in all catridges being offered.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks 'Oneshotkill'( great user name, I pray that's all it takes everytime I pull the trigger. love to hunt and it is neccesary, but man really want them down and dead first time) did you or your dad have to do anything to the rifles i.e., tigger/stock work? how are they scoped? how do you like the wood to metal fit, outside wanting a metal magazine? 10-4

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
" EYESSSSSSS SEE DA LIGHT LORD " it's in a .270 cal , was really intrigued with the .270 wsm but for OTC ammo cost and availibility went with tried and true 270 love the 130gr rd and once I find one that hammers home I'll shoot everything with that offering. stock up and start putting rds down range at every concievable angle, up hill down hill 50yds to 300yds and get real confidence in hitting where I expect to. I owe that to the game I am about to take. I am really hoping the FN winnie M70 sporter will be good enough right out of the bx and the guy who sold it to me will give me a 250.00 discount on the Leupold if I want to swap out for a Nikon monarch 5-20x44 SF( little better for these older eyes, but gain about 0.5lbs weight and add about 150.00 to rig, but that 20x can sure help place those bullets better and the 5x leaves one still able to hit runners in walk up situations) anyway thank you my fellow winnie( love that saying that) conaseur( **** hope I spelled that right) keep at em buddy
Great choice, if it shoots as good as mine in a Supergrade, you'll be all set:

My advised though is skip the 20 power variable scope. I wouldn't get anything more than a 3-9 or 3.5-10 or so. Some even say all you need is a 4 or 6 fixed power and I can't say I disagree a whole lot.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that's one sharp looking rifle and beauty is as beauty does and your's does!!!!! might stay with leupold, but have found a deal on a 5-20x44 with side focus( which is what I'm really wanting) we'll see. Thanks for sharing the info and has you had the rifle out hunting yet?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey Desman, click on the persons ID above the start of each persons post and click on it. It will open up more details on the poster.

I have a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 with Boone and Crockett reticle on my scope. My Dad has another Leupold but I can't recall at the moment what it is. We only lessened the trigger pull on each of them, so make them a little lights. Apart from that, the metal work and woodwork on both of them was fantastic.

My ID is only because it's what I strive to do each time I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right now , with the seller giving me the opyion of taking off the leupold 3x9x40 var x II, I've got options. Most of the time I'll be still hunting or shooting from a rest. whether deer blind or calling in coyotes, but i'm going to carry this rifle 1 x/yr over next 4-6 yrs chasing after muleys in s. az so weight becomes a factor. but as far as having to get off a running shot < 50 yrds almost nil only poss i see is a hog at the deer lease but very very remote. One thing I need in a scope is an adj. AO as I've noticed over last few yrs my eye sight is such if I have my crosshairs focused then the object looks blurry and visa versa. so am looking at nikon's SF option. any thoughts ? and thanks again oneshotkill and still think that's a cool moniker not a brag you go buddy. desman

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I just took mine on a hunting trip to Canada last November.

In regards to your scope, shooting from a bench is one thing but for a BG rifle a 20x in the field w/o a bench or pretty solid rest would seem a bit much for me. I can understand if you like the side adjustment, but I think they also make that scope in a 2.5 or 3.5 x 10 and I'd recommend that by far over the 20x.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
M1Garand, I really need an adj. AO( whether side or front, prefer side ) and have always had 3x9's, except one 8x32 on remington 22-250. Have taken 2 deer on the move, 1 moving slowly at 100yrds and 1 prancing or bounding( took 3 shots from a .270 at 125yrds with 3x9, set at 9) all the rest taken with rifle braced or resting on something. I am really looking hard at the nikon 2.5-10x42 but don't see where they come with SF( will check Nikon site ) may have to go with front AO and that will open more poss. another piece of info on the rifle, this will be my varmint-muley rifle and was thinking a 4x16 or a 5x20 might be good comprimise, use low ends for stalking/ moving game and high end for long varmint shots, but can see your points on too much scope and it's increased length and weight, especially when covering ground with pack, coat, pistol etc over S. Az muley country. thanks -Desman

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
The higher powers could be an advantage for target shooting or from a bench, maybe prairie dogs form a solid rest but from the field without those solid positions, any movement (as in us trying to hold the firearm steady for a shot) seems to be amplified in the higher powers and for me seems to be above about 14x.

I stand corrected on the scope. I checked their site and it was the Monarch X & Gold that come in the 3.5-10 power with the SF I was thinking of. The plain Monarch comes in 3-12 with SF. I think that would be a better choice and would probably cost a little less given the lower power. Here's a link to their site I just looked at with it:

http://www.nikonhunting.com/products/riflescopes/monarch/3-12x42_Side_Focus_Nikoplex/8419

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
desman2, sounds like you found a good one.
Id skip the 5-20 too. The additional weight is one thing Id pass on and even out to 400 a 3-9x40 is just fine. Ive bene going to 2-7x33 Leupolds and 2.5-8x33 Leupolds the last few years because they've been all Ive needed for hunting and so much magnification is more a hinderance than help Im finding. The side focus sounds nice but Im a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. priciple. It just one more thing to make someone need Nikon's warranty. Their 3-12 with SF sounds like the ticket if youre going to double task, varmints and deer sized game.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
listened to all the solid comments and experiences and have purchased a monarch 4.5-16x42 which can be mounted on medium rings. Almost always have had 3x9 in lightwt scopes and if I find a 4-16 is too much , my boy has use for that and I'll swap for his leupold III 3-9 , but with the SF and a little extra wt over the 3-9( and the 3-12 was actually about same as 4-16) I'm going to give it a real good try. So again thank you for the advice and I did let go of the 5-20 because of your ideas and logic. now have rifle and scope , will research solid base and 25mm rings and soon as complete rig here around april I'll get to shooting and enjoying. will have to figure out how to post pictures. we sure are blessed with all the friendly fellow hunters/shooters here on this sight. take care, desman

1 - 20 of 22 Posts