Shooters Forum banner
7K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  MontyF 
#1 ·
Hi ladies, gentlemen and all the rest of you :D , have any of you had any experience with X-Caliber rifle barrels? I found some online for an incredible price and couldn't resist buying one. The one I bought is a 24" stainless steel, .30 caliber (.300/.308), #3 contour, 1:9" twist, pulled buttoned rifled, 6 groove barrel that just arrived today. This one came already crowned with a nice recessed crown. Though not finished on the outside, the barrel appears top notch! The rifling is nice and deep and appears beautifully done. I verified the twist rate and it is indeed exactly 1:9", at least as near as I can measure (I always check two full revolutions and divide the indicated measurement by two). I'm probably going to make it a 30-06 as I already have five 308 Win. rifles and the barrel is a bit short for my liking, for another 300 Win Mag.

Any information or input would be greatly appreciated!

Although this is a sporter barrel, I will tell you that I am an accuracy nut! If a rifle can't regularly do sub-MOA around here, it gets rebarreled or gone! Let me know how yours is doing. As soon as I get to wring this one out, I'll let you guys know how it does.

Thanks

#2 ·
Lead time?

How long did it take you to get it? Was it a pre-made? Did it have to be turned after you ordered it? Seems it takes forever to have anything made to do with guns. Was there ever a day when a man could order a custom barrel and have it in less than 30 days? 1962, maybe?

#6 ·
The price is certainly right!

I bought mine off eBay, straight from X-Caliber for $145.00 plus $15.00 S&H! $160.00 for a barrel with a twist rate of MY choice... Who could pass on that? I have a lot of custom barrels, several Kriegers, a couple of Bartleins, Rock Creeks, Obermeyer, Hart, Lilja, and others. Every one of them cost me AT LEAST twice that price just for the blank, a few well over three times that amount! I looked back on eBay a little while ago, and there are still some available. At X-Caliber's website, the barrels are considerably more. The eBay thing may be promotional, not sure. If I knew more about them and that they shoot good, I'd buy a half dozen, of various contours, calibers and twist rates!

#9 · (Edited)
No Idea if he did.
I am slowly working on a Stevens 44 that will have a "Repurposed' .300 Win Mag Barrel that is cut down and chambered for .32 Extra Long 'mild-catted' in CF out of 'resized .327 Fed. Mag. Parent Brass' and using heeled bullets of around 90 to 110 Grains weight.

I think it will be an interesting combination.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Added 20150616: The Stevens 44 project is slowly coming along in my gunsmiths hands. The Barrel is Stainless Steel and is now fitted to the Receiver/Action with a 4130 C-M Steel tube Threaded on to allow the Barrel to Float Free. The Action is in the process of being converted to CF, and is 'all in the White'. It has a Butt stock fitted but I have no Forearm for it yet. Sights are still not settled. It is some heavier than I remember (SS Barrels do seem to run heavier for similar contours), but still handles nicely when I tried it at the Gunsmiths this last week.
Chev. William

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.