Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
This is not to be a Smart allecky Question by any means. I know New Zealand's gun laws are stricter than here in the USA. What kinds of rifles are we aloud to bring for hunting? In this country we can use Semiauto versions of Military rifles fue hunting provided they are of Calibers that the various states make legal and in some states magazines are limited to 5 or 10 rounds,

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,222 Posts
Have watched numerous TV programs on New Zealand hunting - looks like a wide variety of game. Afraid these old knobby knees wouldn't be up to the vertical terrain I've seen on those shows. Thanks for the invite, though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kdub - No worries , most high country around here is '' as steep as the side of a chickens face ''
B Buffalo - Sort of strict , we aloud auto shotguns , auto .22 , auto centre fire sporting , can hunt with some auto military guns. The police strict with the pistol target shooting jokers and military collectors.
Guns dont hurt people eh , its the plonker behind it !!
Simon

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,222 Posts
NZHG - had to edit your Signature line as the board prohibits commercial advertising on the board without the owner's explicit permission.

Thanks for understanding.

·
Registered
201 Posts
This is not to be a Smart allecky Question by any means. I know New Zealand's gun laws are stricter than here in the USA. What kinds of rifles are we aloud to bring for hunting? In this country we can use Semiauto versions of Military rifles fue hunting provided they are of Calibers that the various states make legal and in some states magazines are limited to 5 or 10 rounds,
In NZ we have some silly laws regarding what is know as MSSAs ( Military Style Semi Autos). Essentialy an MSSA has the following:

1 A Pistol grip ( scary item I know)
2 a flash hider ( note a muzzle break doesnt count as a flash hider)
3 a bayonet lug ( because we all know how dangerous those bayonets are)
4 a magazine of over 7 rounds ( why 7 hmmmmmm? probably to keep M1 Garands and SKS's from qualifying)
5 a folding ot collaspable stock.

All this was brought about in the mid 90s because of a nut with an AK shooting 12 people.
Of course all of these items are cometic and do nothing to prevent another nut from shooting 12 peope but these are the laws we have to live under. Result is if you want an MSSA you need to have a special licence. Bascially all firearms require a licence in NZ ( the person not the gun is registered) so a normal A type licence means you can own all your typical long guns as long as they are over 30 inches in total length and are not MSSAs.

If you are coming to NZ just bring bolts or levers or pumps or single shots. Semis get technical and may not be allowed .

·
Banned
2 Posts
WA is very anal with there gun laws took me 5 months to get my 223 and i'm the owner of the property. currently in Vic where my company is based where you just get the permit and then aquire the gun. Still no semi auto's though, they were taken of us when ol mate Martin Bryant went mad. NZ sounds nice been meaning to go for ages the Tahyr hunting sounds good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.