Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting into handloading, and was thinking about purchasing a lee 50th anniversery kit since its the best bang for my buck. Looking to load .45 GAP, and .30-06. any secrets? hints? tricks of the trade? I should know about? :eek:

·
Banned
556 Posts
any secrets? hints? tricks of the trade? I should know about? :eek:
Far more than could be listed here! The kit you mention comes with Modern reloading (i think) you will find a great deal of info in that book, but you will also want the Lyman manual as well as the abc's of reloading.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Buy the book, ABC's of reloading, go through the threads on this sight. There is tons of info here, on the on the interent, and in books.

That is a good kit, and will last you a long time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'll second that in spades!

If the kit doesn't come with Richard Lee's MODERN RELOADING ... BUY IT! Lyman's reloading guide and ABC's of Reloading too. Starting out you cannot have too much good information.

Read, re-read, and if necessary re-re-read. Also, don't expect to remember EVERYTHING!
Until you have developed your own records of loads and tidbits of information, don't be affraid to open up the book. Follow the instructions to the letter ... some very knowledgeable folks wrote this stuff with both eyes on SAFETY! And NEVER be affraid to ask questions. There ARE no stupid questions (well, the one you DON'T ask is). Nobody was born with reloading knowledge. We all started out ignorant. Hopefully we've learned along the way.

Decades ago, I got into reloading for one caliber. Today it's a whole lot more than that. And I gotta' warn you ... you might someday find yourself reloading some very obscure calibers, or even getting into wildcatting. Just telling you from personal experience! So keep your eyes and ears open and be prepared for one of the side benefits that makes the sport of shooting a 12-month sport. (and for those of living north of the Mason-Dixon line ... winter can be MISERABLE ... reloading can actually make you look forward to it).

Cheers and welcome to reloading!

·
Inactive account
543 Posts
I'd be sure to buy the Carbide version dies for the pistol if they are available in the 4-die set with the factory crimp die. In 30-06 you may want to get the deluxe dies set also, to give the ability to neck size only or full length resize. I have a couple friends who started loading recently and bought the cheap sets and ended up going back to buy the Collet dies separately. Depending on the gun you are using, make sure you get the length trimming guides and check your rounds often. I length trim every time. Sometimes almost nothing comes off, but other times, more than you'd think from brass stretch.

·
Registered
59 Posts
read every credable publication you can get your hands on,I agree lyman has a pretty good introduction in their manual,do not load if you are distracted!if the kids are being clingy or are rowdy and constantly interupting stop and come back to it later,you need total concentration,especialy when starting out and learning.many people have blown guns to scrap and or injured themselves because they were sure that bullseye load was 2.3 grn and it was 3.2 or other such oops

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
There are at least half a dozen lengthy threads on here with advice about how to get started in reloading. Click through a few of those and you'll find the kit you are interested in is a very good choice. If you're like most folks, you will get into reloading and enjoy it for its own unique, if related, merits. Personally, I find it very relaxing and rewarding, knowing that I have the ability to turn a pile of components into boxes and boxes of highly effective ammunition, at 1/4 to 1/3 of the factory prices. My neighbor likes to garden because it makes him feel more self-sufficient. If bad times come and I'm hungry, I will help guard his veggies with the ammo I built, so we can both eat well. :)

·
Inactive account
119 Posts
start with pistol calibers,then 'graduate' to rifle.
I say graduate because you'll need more equipment...case lube,case trimmer,chamfer/beburr tool
Imperial case lube lasts forever and does a great job.

Lee makes some inexpensive case trimming devices,great for the casual reloader.

read 1st,then give it a go.It's a great past time.

·
Inactive account
263 Posts
Get a good manual... I normally pick the manual produced by the bullet manufacturer I use... but if you are undecided I would get Hornady… Read it. Not just the section about your load but the beginning… it tells you all the tips & tricks that will keep you safe.<O:p
<O:p
Then with a little time you will be able to start doing all the things that folks argue over… Case prep and the like.<O:p
<O:p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.