Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I guess I'm the new guy on the block. I just became interested in Cowboy Shooting recently, and came in search of knowledge and guidance.
I've got experience with a number of different firearms, being a veteran of 11 years (including Desert Storm), where I was a M1A1 Tank gunner. However, I've never owned anything larger than a .22.
Now, I've been trying to do research on .45 Colt SAA clones, and wanted y'alls input.
I'm on a blue-collar budget (with 5 kids, 3 of whom are in college), and I've been looking at Uberti Cattlemen, and Cimarron Model P's.
Could y'all share your experience with these guns, ups and downs, and everything in between? All opinions are welcome and NEEDED!
Thanks folks!!

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
. . .I've been looking at Uberti Cattlemen, and Cimarron Model P's.
Could y'all share your experience with these guns, ups and downs, and everything in between? All opinions are welcome and NEEDED!
Thanks folks!!
I have a Cimarron Model P in .44WCF. Nicely made by Uberti, true to the original Colt design, and affordable. Sent the first one back to Cimarron due to some defects and asked for another one. Cimarron sent me another one which was as nice a single action as one could expect. Don't just shop price when you purchase a firearm as customer service is also very important!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
From what I've seen the SASS participants favor .38 special loaded way down. The Heritage guns are less expensive and were recommended by Gun Test magazine. Here is link to 2-2006 Gun Tests Review http://www.gun-tests.com/issues/18_2/features/firearms_colt-revolver5307-1.html
I like the Uberti 3.5" Birdshead and the Cimarron Thunderer and Lightening. I would show up at your local SASS events and see what they are using if your are serious about CAS. The members and moderators are the best here and I've learned a lot and I also have an interest in SASS. It has become a very specalized shooting sport. The "new" Ruger Vaqueros are so nice, I would save up for a Ruger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've found a Uberti I really like at a local shop. Closest I can tell, it appears to be a Stallion, in .45LC, with a 5.5 inch barrel, case-hardened frame, and brass back-strap and trigger guard. They have the list price as $440, but on sale for $400. Do gun dealers negotiate prices??
Anyway, does anyone own one like this? Although it doesn't call it a Stallion, I looked at the insert in the box, and the matching pic said Stallion. Here's the pic from the website:

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/images/1873_cattleman_nm_brass_lg.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, it's not a Stallion. Upon further looking on the internet, I found out that the Stallions were .22 models. Hey, I'm still learning!
I still love the look of this one though.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
. . . Do gun dealers negotiate prices?? . . .
Might have a problem trying to negotiate a lower price on an item that's already on sale but nothing says you can't try. You may be pleasantly surprised if the dealer really wants to sell that item or the dealer might just say "No".

Don't know how authentic a Colt clone you want to have. Colt stopped putting brass trigger guards and backstraps on their revolvers when they stopped making percussion cap revolvers. Original Colt SAs had steel. Some shooters prefer brass so it's a matter of choice. Just thought I'd bring this up if you're still making a choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, with the brass, I kinda just liked the looks of it.
Bass Pro Shops has advertised a Uberti Cattleman Convertible that will be for sale the day after Thanksgiving, a .45LC with a 4.75 in. barrel, and comes with an extra cylinder for .45 ACP. The pic they showed with the ad had a 5.5 in. barrel. I asked one of the guys at the gun counter, and he said he thought they'd have both barrel lengths, but wasn't sure since they hadn't gotten their shipment in yet. The advertised price is $499.99.
Sound like a deal to y'all?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts