Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I would like to say that I've just come across this site and excellent forum, and am very impressed by the seemingly knowledgable info and politeness exhibited in all the posts I've read so far!
Although I've been shooting all my life, I've just started reloading my own within the last 6mo. At the present I have a Taurus PT100 .40S&W, and have loaded approx. 300 rds so far using AA#5, 7.2 - 7.6 grns, 155 JHP and 180 FMJ. I've been very pleased so far, but then again I've just started!
Any data or general advice that anyone may care to share would be appreciated.
Also, I've just purchased a Contender w/.44Mag, 10"  bbl.
I have not loaded anything for this yet as I'm still waiting for the dies.
I will be whitetail hunting with BOTH guns this fall (I know, I know, the PT100 wouldn't be most folks choice for deer, but it's the challenge of it!) so any load data would be appreciated.
Thanks again for the great forum.

Mutt

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,235 Posts
Well, I can sure help with the .40 S&W data.  Yeah it's not a traditional hunting caliber but I've carried a Glock 23 for many miles when hog hunting, especially at night (Trijicon sights).

My load... use Beartooth's 200gr. WFNGC.  I used Blue Dot, don't have any other data so can't comment on whether AA#5 would be a good choice.  I worked up to about 7.5 gr. w/Rem 2 1/2 primer, as I recall, and got nearly 1,000fps from the 4" barrel.  Put down a wounded hog with it, much tougher than any whitetail.  Should work great.  Start at 7 grains and work up.

My .44 load is: a 280gr. WFNGC, worked up to about 22 gr. of WW296/CCI350 primer.  Gives about 1350fps in a 7.5" Super Blackhawk.  I'd imagine that the contender will run a little faster.  Start at 20 grains and work up.  No whitetail can withstand this!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Can't help you with the 40 S&W but my favorite load in the 44 mag is the 300g WFNGC over 21.7g of H110 in Starline brass with CCI 350 primers and a heavy crimp. It's hard hitting without being brutal and VERY accurate. The load chronographs at 1625fps from a 16" barrel/ Figure you can take off maybe 150-200fps from your 10".

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Mutt,

The Contender is a great gun in 44 Mag. I've an 8" barrel cut down from a 10". Great carry gun for hunting.

The biggest problem that can be with the Contender in the pistol cartridges is the throat after the chamber. It is basically a toilet bowl or cone right into the rifling. For maximum accuracy potential, use the LBT cast bullet styles (in say the WFN profiles) or a bullet with a very wide forward driving band to fill up this cone. This will leave much less area for the bullet to jump through. The LBT styles hang a lot of lead outside and forward of the case.

I have an older 6 groove barrel which had a somewhat better throat arrangement.

The gents above are on the right track as far as loads, especially the 280 gr load. The Contender recoils differently than a sixgun as I'm sure you're aware.

I'm running 22.5 with H110 and an LBT 280 grain Gas checked WFN. Does about 1425 or so FPS avg. out of the 8" Contender. Good accuracy also.

Regards and welcome to the forum, Ray

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys, it is greatly appreciated.

If theres one thing I've learned so far about loading your own, its that one can never have too much data or reference material (and common sense!).
Thanks again, and keep it coming!

Mutt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts