Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a firearm from a friend. It is a Savage Model 12 in .308 with Accutrigger. It is set up as a sniper rifle. I intend to use it solely for target shooting and trying to make it into a 1000 yard paper puncher. It is equipped with a stainless, fluted barrel, no muzzle brake. It is set up on a sniper style composite stock and is HEAVY. It has a bipod. It also has a JTM Co. brand scope. The marking on the side of the scope says
JTM Co.
XTA
Tactical
6-24X50 AOE
Rangefinder.

I can't find anything on the web about JTM company. Also, and this is a bit embarassing, what is the proper way to adjust the knobs on the scope to align it? In other words, if I put the cross hairs on the bullseye, and the shot goes down and to the right of that mark, which way do I turn the knobs to realign it? If the knob is labled "left" and has an arrow showing the direction of rotation, will that move the reticle left, and thereby make my shot move farther to the right?
Anyway, if there is any help on this out there, please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
The direction arrows tell you which way the bullet will move when you turn the knob. If the bullet POI is left of POA, you turn the scope knob in the R direction to zero.

A little pointer to save you a lot of bullets. Shoot you're first shot at 25 yards from a very steady rest. Now put the cross hairs back on the POA and while holding the rifle very steady, either have someone turn the scope or you being very careful not to move the rifle, turn the knobs on the scope until the cross hair is over the bullet hole. Understand, if very far off, you may have to turn the knobs and extreme amount to get cross hairs over the bullet hole so don't stop, thinking you're not doing it right. Also beware, you are moving the cross hairs to the POI, so you will think you're turning the knobs backwards, but you're not. In other words, you may need to move the cross hairs down, but you will be turning the knob in the up direction. Remember, the scope knobs are marked to move the POI of the bullet to the cross hairs , you are doing it backwards, moving the cross hairs to the POI of the bullet so things will seem backwards.

After this one shot, move the target to 100 yards and do this again. Within about three shots you should have it very close to center at 100 yds. Then you can just fine tune zero by the number of clicks it takes to move it the small distance needed for center target.

As for your particular scope, can't help you at all. Sounds like it might be one the hundreds of Chinese scopes that may have most any brand name on them. For your sake, I hope not, most of those are not much of a scope.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. Eventually I will get a better scope when I want to really reach out and touch the target. Your help will save me a lot of time. Thank you again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts