Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my youngest son tells me that while he likes upland hunting, he really wants to go deer hunting. I say, sure, but let's go the muzzleloader route. We've had fun with them at scout camps and elsewhere.

Now that we are getting serious, we fully understand that the accuracy of our guns are dependent upon both the load we will shoot and the powder charge.

Can anyone recommend an effective approach for determining for each gun what bullet and powder charge works best? We have CVA Kodiak Pro's .50, and I'm leaning on using one of the Barnes bullets options.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
The hard part is for anyone to say... this will shoot well in your rifles. What shoots well in one might not shoot well in the other. All I would suggest you do is try a number of different projectiles and see which ones your rifle likes. Some to suggest would be Barnes MZ Expanders in 250 grain, 250 grain Shockwaves, 300 grain XTPs, 240 grain XTPs, some powerbelts, and some of the conicals out there. Start your testing with 80 grains of powder and then work up from there.

·
Registered
550 Posts
with the barnes expander, you'll most likely need the mmp-24 sabot. The kodiak should shoot well with pretty much the tc maxi hunters, hornady great plains and a large assortment of powerbelts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts