Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of folks dislike the company but remember, it's not just a company it's real people who need jobs and may have only one skill set and may find it difficult to get a job doing anything else.

Registered
I was happy to hear that the new owner wanted to continue producing firearms in Ilion. A lot of skilled workers there as well as a lot of history. I have respect for a group that works to keep manufacturing here in the US. Remington has done some good things over the past few decades, but they have also have a lot of huge missteps.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I've only ever worked for one large company and most of the mistakes were made in middle management, some idiot that wants to cut corners to increase production and make themselves look good in the short term. The worker bees actually making the product aren't normally to blame but there the ones who suffer the consequences of mismanagement.

The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
I've worked for several large companies and I can say that nearly ALL of the worst mistakes were made by middle management and up, the only times the execs had an excuse is when they were fed bad data (invariably by the layers of management below them). Or they were dumb enough to listen to sales and marketing people who lived in an alternative universe.... ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I worked for a construction company that had around 75-100 employees most of the time, the owner was there everyday, best company I ever worked for. When he sold the company it doubled in size and went out of business in less than 5 years, saw the idiots that ran it into the ground the day they took over but never again.

The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
Let's hope the quality of the product improves with the new management.

Registered
Hope they do something positive, but they have an uphill climb overcoming bankruptcy, debt, & lost customer base. I stopped using their products many years ago. I'm not from Missouri, but "Show Me". They would be smart to cut their product line & make their tried & true stuff to a high quality standard & leave the "Gizmo" stuff to others. They never were good at innovation or "new" product support anyway.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
870's and 700's, drop everything else, stop selling crap. At one time you could order barreled actions from the custom shop, that's how I got my 40xr, that might be very popular today with the "custom chassis" crowd if they were made really well.

Premium Member
I'd have to disagree with the 'never were good at innovation' part. Everything they did to make their guns cheaper has been copied by others out of economic necessity. Plastics, alumimum castings, three part bolts, stampings instead of forgings...the list goes on for a while!

The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
A 700 with a decent (safe) aftermarket trigger has always been a fine rifle.... save for the odd one here and there with bolt handle falling off, and so on. I've owned one, I'd own another if they can get their act together.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
They could re-introduce the 700 with a Sako style extractor and a bolt with closer tolerances as well as other improvements.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I've only had 35-40 700 remingtons, a good number of them were Classics that were never fired, most of the ones I shot/shoot are great. Have less than 10 now, mostly 7-08's and 223's.

Premium Member
The fit and finish of any man-made part is solely at the discretion of the creator. A Remington M700 can be as tight, slick, smooth and semi-sensual as the inside of a Beagle's ear, but precision cost money.
'IT shoots great and it's CHEAP!! ' Sells about forty times faster and more often than 'precision' that might not shoot any better.....for that shooter.

I would love to see Mike Walker's Custom Shop back in operation.....and I'd give a body part and cash money to boot to find the 40XBBR, 6x47 I had in 1970. That rifle taught me accuracy shooting, accuracy reloading and accuracy gun building all at the same time.

Kevinbear said -
They could re-introduce the 700 with a Sako style extractor and a bolt with closer tolerances as well as other improvements.
I've done a bunch of those and it does make it extract better and with more certainty, but that is a design compromise the M700 is very unlikely to give up. "Three rings of Steel" is more than an advertising motto. It works, but the only way it works is with a toe-nail clipping extractor.

Registered
That is great news and I am cautiously optimistic. I grew up in the shadows of the Ilion plant and my Christmas list was from the pages of the Remington catalog. Remington was to guns what Ford and Chevy were to cars....an everyday car(gun) at an everyday price. As far as innovation goes the Nylon 66 was probably the first gun I saw with a composite stock and the XP100 was a spaceship looking long range handgun very early on. I only hope that Big Green can get back to their place as not only America鈥檚 oldest gunmaker, but America鈥檚 leader in sporting arms.

Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
I'm saving my $$ for another heavy barreled 700 in .243 馃憤 Anybody guess as to why馃

RJ

The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
You've got an African hunt for Cape Buffalo booked for this year!
:unsure:

Reactions: MZ5

Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
Yep!!

No, wait, that's a SW Wyoming prairie dog hunt. Pretty close though. Prairie dogs can be very dangerous when provoked.

RJ

Reactions: MZ5 and Darkker

Registered
I'd have to disagree with the 'never were good at innovation' part. Everything they did to make their guns cheaper has been copied by others out of economic necessity. Plastics, alumimum castings, three part bolts, stampings instead of forgings...the list goes on for a while!
I was referring to all the "innovations" they came up with over the years that didn't have to do with making things cheaper & of less quality, which they were very good at. The 5mm Rem Mag, the 221 Fireball, the 17 Fireball, the 260 Rem, just to name a few, were all good ideas that Remington gave pitiful support to & let languish until they either dropped them from their product line or let others pass them by with a better offering. The latest example is the Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor blowing their 260 Remington out of the market place. Remington had the edge by many years with the 260, but just sat there not knowing what to do with it & giving no support. From what I witnessed over the last 40 years, Remington deserved to go bankrupt. The last 30 years has been the greatest period of firearms innovation & sales in history, yet Remington with all it's historic advantage & huge market share managed to not know how to build a safe trigger & go bankrupt. Go figure!

Premium Member
Yes, but. :) How about the 222Rem, 22-250, 7mm Mag (stolen right from under W-W noses)? It's true their publicity department was too busy stomping out fires to tell the better (Creedmore) lies. :)

The cartridge business now is like the carbonated drink business. It's all about shelf space and advertizing.

Registered
The problem with using a Sako type extractor with a Rem 700 is that it gives any gases & debris from a case head or primer pocket failure a DIRECT ROUTE to your face!!!! Not a good modification, IMHO. There is no bolt guide or anything else to stop this from happening on a 700 action. This is why I refuse to do this mod for customers.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts