Shooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
The Shadow
7,948 Posts
It's true their publicity department was too busy stomping out fires to tell the better (Creedmore) lies. :)
What about everyone who doesn't buy Remington, and knows it's spelled Creedmoor?!:p:p

Reactions: MZ5

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yes, but. :) How about the 222Rem, 22-250, 7mm Mag (stolen right from under W-W noses)? It's true their publicity department was too busy stomping out fires to tell the better (Creedmore) lies. :)

The cartridge business now is like the carbonated drink business. It's all about shelf space and advertizing.
But remember, all the things you mentioned are pushing 60 years old or more. Hardly relevant to what's happening today. You must be as old as I am to even remember when those rounds were "introduced". None of them are "in vogue" today. My how things have changed!!

·
Premium Member
15,081 Posts
The extractor is a major weak point on all bolt actions BUT the M700 series. The M700 extractors are uncertain (at best) and hard to replace.

Did I misspell that over-hyped thing AGAIN? I just slapped myself!

Reactions: Hawkeye Hunter

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I was hoping this thread would stay positive because under new management employees will be able to return to work and the company will have a chance to improve their quality control.
Although the incoming administration has said repeatedly they will remove protections that keep gun manufacturers from being sued for "misuse" of their products{murder}, if they keep that promise there won't be a gun manufacturer in this country in 4 years.

·
The Shadow
7,948 Posts
"Over-hyped" says the man singing 60 year old innovations.

What's that Ricky Nelson lyric....
"But if memories were all I sang
I rather drive a truck"

😁😁😁

It's positive, just some friendly ribbing Kev.

"Remington" is simply a name. "Their" QC, or triggers, or anything else, isn't because of some sentimental story about the world's greatest generation. It's a business choice, about what is cheaper. Frankly, Remington is far far far, from the first company to sell something, that it was decided it would be more profitable to fight a few lawsuits, than simply do a cheap fix.

Whether or not the new company bought them as an investment opportunity, or because they "believe" in the business; remains to be seen.

Cheers

Reactions: MZ5 and Kevinbear

·
Registered
501 Posts
The extractor is a major weak point on all bolt actions BUT the M700 series. The M700 extractors are uncertain (at best) and hard to replace.

Did I misspell that over-hyped thing AGAIN? I just slapped myself!
I agree, an "unmodified" 700 doesn't have the extractor pathway to your face that other bolt actions have. But if you modify it with a Sako type extractor it does and then doesn't have the safeguards, like a bolt guide, to deflect stuff from a case failure. That's what Kevinbear was referring to & why I said I would not do that modification. On another note. Do you know how all this stuff with Remington is affecting Marlin? My understanding was that Rem took over making the Marlins when the holding company that owned them both acquired Marlin & that they were making them in the Ilion plant.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Is the ammunition and firearms with the Remington name produced by the same company? Or two separate ones as is the case with Winchester? I bought some 3" Rem 20 gauge turkey loads recently for the little pump gun I keep by my bed. They were of very poor quality. About half were under-loaded (with shot) and some by enough that the wad/crimp pressure was poor. These were in 3 different 10 round boxes. Fortunately I have an old 20 gauge Lee Load-all that I never use anymore, but never took off my bench. I was able to uncrimp the worst of these defects with a small screwdriver, weigh and then add the necessary shot to get to the spec'd 1 1/4 ounce load, them re-crimp. I did mangle one in the process, but the other 10 or 12 are fine now. I also had to bust open a couple 12 Gauge #5s pheasant loads to get the shot needed. The point is, this is horrible quality control from a newly bought product that has Remington's name on it. A simple weight check of these rounds at the end of the line would have shown them to be light. That's like a 1980s level QC check in modern manufacturing. There is no way this should happen in 2021. I purposely chose the Rem product over some cheaper off brand shells that were on the shelf because I have always thought Remington made good quality shot-shells. Now I don't know what to think. Again, it was from 3 different boxes, not just one. So obviously the whole lot had issues.

·
The Shadow
7,948 Posts
Is the ammunition and firearms with the Remington name produced by the same company? Or two separate ones as is the case with Winchester?
Winchester is worse than that.

Gunpowder name is owned by Hodgdon, but built by General Dynamics.
Primers are built by someone else, at one point was CCI.
Cases are least cost bidder, had been coming out of the middle east.
Rifles are FN
Ammo, yes actually winchester kept their presses; so they assemble everyone else's products into their vaulted brand. 🤣🤣

Cheers

·
Premium Member
15,081 Posts
CCI-Speer-Hornady- Federal just bought the Remington ammo plant.
Here's a statement from the boss on the ammo shortage.
ammo statement

·
The Shadow
7,948 Posts
Hornady has nothing to do with Vista Outdoors.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,204 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Winchester is worse than that.

Gunpowder name is owned by Hodgdon, but built by General Dynamics.
Primers are built by someone else, at one point was CCI.
Cases are least cost bidder, had been coming out of the middle east.
Rifles are FN
Ammo, yes actually winchester kept their presses; so they assemble everyone else's products into their vaulted brand. 🤣🤣

Cheers
Yeah I don't care who makes their components, the point is a simple QC weighing of the finished rounds would have identified the light ones. That this isn't done in 2020 (when these were presumably made) is mind blowing to me. Heck, I hope the powder charges are correct!

·
Premium Member
15,081 Posts
Hornady's president put out a similar video and they stuck together in my aging mind. EX CUSE me, said like Tommy Smothers.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
You know I see that factory ammunition at my LGS but I've never actually bought any of it let alone shot it!
Honestly other than a couple of large cans of Malaysian 308 military rounds for my Cetme I probably haven't bought more than a couple of boxes of factory ammunition.....ever. The last ones I can remember buying were 6.5 prc and I shot 5 of them and pulled the bullets on the rest. Come to think of it I did buy a case of UMC 223's once back in the 80's and pulled the fmj bullets replacing them with Sierra 52gr match, that was an eye opener, 2" groups shrank to 1/2" with the bullet change. That was a Ken Waters tip to get good R-P brass inexpensively and not completely waste the initial load.

·
The Shadow
7,948 Posts
the point is a simple QC weighing of the finished rounds would have identified the light ones. Heck, I hope the powder charges are correct!
Fair enough. But no one outside the reloader weighs powder charges, so they will always weigh different. Given they are only a simple assembly warehouse, I'm not sure how much internal testing they are doing. FWIW.

Hornady's president put out a similar video...
If no one else remembers how little Hornady's promises mean, from a few short years ago....
They promised they had no discontinued list, and weren't chasing defense contracts.... Until a distributor published their "Not to share with the public" letter, directly admitting in fact yes. They did have a huge discontinued list, because they were chasing defense contracts.

But hey, at least we can buy overpriced "Lake City" brass from them now because of that. So we got that going for us.... Which is nice. 😉

Cheers

Reactions: MZ5
21 - 40 of 43 Posts