Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
2,163 Posts
I'm sure that's a completely un-retouched photo, too!

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Gents:
What do you expect from the Toronto Star? One of the Royal Canadian Air Farce's standard lines is:
"I read this in the world's leading communist newspaper."
"Pravda?"
"No, the Toronto Star."

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
251 Posts
Gee, and all this time I thought the world's leading communist paper was the New York Times....:rolleyes:
Mark

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Hate to say it fellows, but I remember seeing that on T.V. and thinking, "hey that is a Ruger M77 RSI". Correct me if I'm wrong, but that forearm sling swivel, the checkering pattern and the red recoil pad are distinctively Ruger.

·
Banned
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He can't even get the real gun to talk about Hemingway. Mannlichers were featured in several of Hemingway's books and most notably in the short story, "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber."

David, you're right on one of the three features. Ruger copied the Mannlicher so well that I had to pull mine out to check. The red butt pad is the total giveaway (hard to see in this photo), others are the bolt is round and too far back. Also, there is a cheekpiece on the left buttstock on an M-S, too. From this angle, it's really hard to tell, otherwise.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Another dead giveaway (and one I wish Ruger would quit using) is the forearm sling swivel attachment. It's a hanger of sorts and though functional, not pleasing to the eye at all. The checkering pattern on the forearm is undoubtly the Ruger half diamond or whatever it's called. Hussein actually fired a round into the air using this one handed grip during a parade or rally. I don't know if he shot a blank or not, but he did fire it one handed the rifle recoiled pretty good. If it was a real live cartridge (not a blank) it was fired in the middle of Baghdad over the heads of thousands of people that had come to see/hear him speak. I pegged as a Ruger the first time I saw it on T.V. Always thought it was funny how it was never mentioned by anyone. Looks to be a stock Ruger, no custom accruements.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,163 Posts
I'm amazed, I thought it was a faked photograph! ID

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Nope, it's a real photo. I saw it with my own to little brown eyes. Too bad he's holding a Ruger. Argggghhhhhh!!

·
Registered
871 Posts
I expect the U.S. Army will be in possesion of it soon enough. Hope its in 308/7.62 so we can try it out some. When exactly is camel season over there?

Hooah,

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts