Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally blasted about 80 rounds of your .44 (.432) 265, 280 and 300 gr WFNGCs in the new Brownchester 1892.

Using 21.0 of H110 for all (yea, I'm lazy), I got and 1630, 1615 and 1610fps out of them, respectively, and a really sore shoulder (6lbs and a cresent stock). I don't feel like chasing "max" anymore today. That seems fast enough.

No leading at all and accuracy was excellent - 1st 3 shots all went into 3/4" to 1" @ 50yds off the bench (eg. all touching). Shots 4 and 5 walk out a bit, most likely due to a progressive wince or flinch, but maybe barrel heating(?). Shot 5 was work. (If I need 4 or 5 shots on a hunt, I'd better hang it up, anyway.)

I am beginning to "hit" with both the sights and the trigger of the new carbine; confidence is building. I bought a white bead to replace the brass one. The brass one glints wherever the sun is and seems to pull shots that way. I've got some cheap cast that I use 6.5gr HP38 @ ~1000fps, which shoot like .22s; great for cheap practice.

I can't imagine needing "more gun" for open sight hunting of deer and hogs. I've found my hunting bullets. I don't think the weight matters all that much between them, for my purposes, anyway.

Regards,

Charlie

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Charlie,

Sounds like potent medicine in anyone's book with the velocities you're getting! Bet that metal crescent butt plate does make you wince just a tad with some of those loads, the 300g at 1610 fps especially! That load should penetrate end-to-end just about anything the lower 48 offers, within some range constraints of course.

Like you say, any of them are pure poison for hogs and deer. I'm really glad that they shot so well for you! Sounds like they were really forgiving in your carbine in regard to load, as they all shot well basically without load development. Hmmmm..... if only I could get that lucky.

Thanks for the good report.... we'll be looking for pics of your fall conquests with that little '92.

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea what the BC is for those 3 bullets? I'd like to do the math on trajectory. I've been guessing .19 for the 265gr, .21 for the 280gr, and .23 for the 300gr.

Regards,

Charlie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts