Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've never used Nikon optics before, but I was in need of a new pair of binoculars for this upcoming hunting season. Let me be the first to say I hate cheap optics. Yep, I'm going to dime them out: Simmons, Bushnell, Tasco, and others all use plastic for their lenses, resulting in blurry views. All of my rifles have Leupold scopes, except one I bought used with a Mauser scope on it (I don't know anything about Mauser scopes, but it works well).

So anyway, I've heard Nikon will give just as clear a picture as Leupold without the hefty price tag. So I ordered a pair of 16X from an online source. When they came, I drove to a nearby Civil War battlefield and toured it (the Army has me in Virginia temporarily). I used the binoculars to see things from the Generals' various perspectives.

Let me tell you: Nikon is worth the price. I only paid $115 for these binos, and they were so clear I could read license plates at 3/4 of a mile. Ok, I could EASILY read license plates at 3/4 of a mile. I would hazard a guess that it wouldn't be impossible at a mile.

16X is a mite on the big side, but they are light for their size. Even so, wearing them around my neck all day was a PITA, so I ordered the shoulder harness-looking doohicky that looks like a binocular bra. I haven't gotten it yet.

I haven't used these in foul weather yet to get a really solid idea of their performance, but thus far I'm *VERY* happy. I think I might try a Nikon rifle scope next instead of paying for the Leupolds.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So I have a funny story regarding binoculars. My family and I were out at a friend's place. They live in the mountains on about 30 acres (I'm SOOOO jealous!). We were using binoculars to shoot at distant targets (these were actual targets we had set up, with a good backstop...we weren't just popping off at random stuff), and had two pair with us. One was rather small, one was big.

They had a two year-old (he's 10 now, but was 2 then). He couldn't say "binoculars;" it always came out as, "knockers."

Once, he was looking at something through the smaller pair of binoculars, turned to his dad and said, "I want the big knockers!"

I turned to his dad and said, "Well, at least you don't have anything to worry about."

This story came back to me when I was using my new Nikons at the battlefield (above), so from now on these are my "big knockers."

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a pair of nikon 8x56mm these were a great pair of binoculars I could see across a 600 yard field 45min before sun up and they were very clear.Wish I never sold them.:(

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: I received the binocular harness (it looks like a bra to hold the binos on my chest, keeps them from flopping around when I walk, and takes the pressure off my neck).

I HIGHLY recommend using a harness like this if you have large binoculars ("big knockers"). I put it on and went scouting around my hunting area the other day, and at times forgot the big knockers were there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a pair of 10x Nikon Monarch's that were free to me thanks to my Cabelas credit card points. They are very fine binoculars. I use them for hunting, bird watching, hiking and at sporting events. My wife uses them to study Tom Brady's *** at Pats games so I consider myself lucky to just get them back!

·
Registered
326 Posts
For the money you will not beat Nikon. My Zeiss binoculars are better than my sons Monarch's, but not a $1000.00 worth. I bought him the Nikon for his birthday and have sold a lot more for Nikon from friends viewing from them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have Nikon monarchs 10x42 and I use them all the time. I have had several top brand ( Leupold , bushnell elite, Burris,) Nikon are the best for me.

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
Another vote for Nikon optics. I have Leupold, Ziess, Weaver, Redfield and Nikon scopes on my hunting rifles. Also Nikon binocs and range finder, no complaints on any of the Nikon stuff. I consider them good glass for the money

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Right you are Monty!;)

The only thing I differ with is those range finders, I have 2 of them. Leupold and Bushnell and they cannot hold a candle to the Leica range finder, which is going to be my next one and last.:):cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts