Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 3-9x40 Nikon for sale. However, the scope has no other markings; such as ProStaff, Monarch - just nothing. Is this scope just old and predates Nikon using model names?

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,233 Posts
I personally have never seen a NIKON scope that was not marked NIKON and I have been using them for years. Skeptical to say the least.

·
Registered
11,954 Posts
I found a 3-9x40 Nikon for sale. However, the scope has no other markings; such as ProStaff, Monarch - just nothing. Is this scope just old and predates Nikon using model names?

I have one such scope myself. It's a very good piece and has stood the test of time on my 30-06. Looking though it and comparing all aspects to the new Monarchs there is no less discernable quality. I'm not positive but figure, Nikon made one quality of scope in the early years and it's the same piece that goes by the Monarch name now.

Jodum, I think what the OP was saying it has Nikon on it but notthe other line name they use now.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
turn it over and you will see Made in Japan on it. yes they were the pre monarch scopes and if you have one that needs repair you will more than likely get a new monarch in return. at least that is how the Nikon Tech guy explained it to me. the current Nikon Monarchs at least up to 2010 are being made in phillipines, i don't know about current production as i haven't checked or seen anything posted anywhere so i assume they still are. the lens coatings on the monarchs are a step above what they were using back then and they were good scopes back then. the glass on that older scope is good glass and that scope should have plenty of life left in it but if for some reason down the road should it go belly up Nikon will probably take care of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.