Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading about some formulae for converting the old Cordite Nitro Express loads to various smokeless powders but I can't for the life of me remember where.  Does anyone have the formulae for approximating smokeless loads from the original Cordite loads in the old Nitro Express rounds?  Thanks.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,443 Posts
Seyfried has this in some of his magazine articles, can't remember if it was Handloader or Guns and Ammo.

If I recall... the powder suggested was RE15.  But I don't know the exact formula.

Sorry to not be of more help, at least this gives a starting place on where to look.

<!--EDIT|MikeG|Mar. 25 2002,10:07-->

·
Registered
206 Posts
Go to www.africa-hunter.com there is an arcticle about a guy workinig up a load for an old double for a elephant hunt.  I think he used a formula and a common IMR powder.  What you  workinig on? SOunds interestinig

·
Beartooth Regular
2,162 Posts
Hi guys,
    The Seyfried article is in Rifle or Handloader, I keep them both so I will look it up. The powder he used was Reloder 15, but I'll have to check the formula. I'll get back to you as soon as I find it!
                                   IDShooter

·
Beartooth Regular
2,162 Posts
OK, I found the article!

First off, let me say that this is far more involved than what I have room to post here and I suggest you get ahold of a back issue of Handloader December 1999, No. 202 so you can read the entire article.
    You need to know the original cordite loading. Then you multiply the original cordite charge by 1.19 to come up with the correct charge of RE15.
There are a number of important asides, among them are to use Fed 215 primers and use a dacron filler to prevent hangfires. Of course the other elements must match the original loading. Again, I strongly suggest you read the article.
           Hope this helps!       IDShooter

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help!  One other conversion I ran across was 1.33 grains of IMR4831 per grain of Cordite.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts