Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently decided to get into NRL22, one rifle in my safe was very close to being ready to go for the competition an AR style gun made from a RockRiver bottom and CMMG top, I chronicled the assembly 3-4 years ago.
Here's the picture from last week, since then I changed the scope to a Vortex Diamondback 4-16x44 30mm tube and picked up some Cole-tac accessories.

I picked several different lots/kind of ammunition that I already have in sufficient number to shoot for a year and tested them yesterday. I liked group #2, I have 4 cartons of it which might be enough for the rest of the year and 2022 season if I shoot some of the easier stages with the ammunition from group #1
The white part of the target inside the outer green circle is 1.6", most of the shots on target #2 were under an inch, probably could have shot a smaller group off a proper benchrest but I wanted to see how it would group using a bipod I planned to in the match. I wrote on the target it was a 7mph tailwind but there were gusts to probably 10mph, if you've ever shot 22benchrest you'll know what that does at 50yds let alone 100yds, had I used a chronograph I would have known if those low shots were from lower velocity or the tailwind, another case for chronographs.:)
Nearly all the targets shot at NRL22 are bigger than 1 moa with the exception of the kyl target and you can choose not to shoot the smaller targets on it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here it is dressed and ready to go to the dance, the forearm bag and bi-pod wouldn't be attached at the same time during a match.
Gun
Cole-tac front bag
Rear bag
Shooting mat/front bag when more height is needed, also functions as an arm rest.
Binoculars
Range finder
Sling
Extra magazine
Ammunition
Still need knee pads, gloves and a dope card
This set-up reminds me of military highpower gear only more tactical!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tomorrow is game day, hoping not to embarrass myself, hopefully someone else will show up that's never shot it before like myself. Thursday morning I went to the range and got zero's, this seems like it could be really fun game, 2 minutes to shoot 12 shots at targets typically 75-200yds alternating back and forth. A common theme to these seems to be a 2.5" target at 80yds and a 6" target out close to or at 200yds shot from an awkward position-positions, yes you have to move as well as shoot at different distances all in 2 minutes.
I'll take some pictures to let you guys know what it's all about.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't take any pictures, wow there is no time to do anything but shoot or get magazines reloaded, bi-pods changed, scopes reset and get ready for the next stages. Folks, this is a fun shooting game, sort of like a war game but enough like hunting to be extremely helpful for getting ready to go hunting.
Normally there's 30-40 people show up to shoot it but there was another tournament somewhere else that siphoned off a few so the head count was 22, I had trouble with two stages that my zero's were off so I ended up right in the middle of the pack at 11th place. Woulda coulda shoulda as they say, when I understand the game a little better I should be able to land in the top 10 somewhere.
As it was these guys are not safety insane like some of the shooting sports, as long as your magazine is out and empty chamber flag in you can adjust your scope or do any necessary adjustments to your gun at anytime without being harassed which is a nice change from silhouette. They're definitely not as uptight as the practical pistol crowd either.
One thing that was really interesting was every "team" of 4 people got a tablet with score cards loaded for each person, scores were recorded as you shot by the team captain then downloaded to the master tablet the match director had by wifi, all the scores were automatically tabulated and each person's rank for the match posted realtime.
A very simple program for a computer but whoever thought of using it for shooting tournaments was a genius!
Anyways they're not having it in October because most of them will be hunting including moi.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts