Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not get to go hunting this year-no one to hunt with(colorado)-what a crappy fall.First time in over 40 years

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I don't like going hunting alone either, really, but I do because the other option is what you did... not hunt ;) When I do, I print out maps, use a marker to show which areas (no more than three) that I might/will be in (mark both where I will park and where I'll be hunting) and give that to my wife (she puts it under a magnet on the fridge while I'm gone). I have a GPS unit with me where I mark where I park (if not already marked) and record my trail. I try to call when I get there and at lunch (if there's cell coverage) and when I come out of the woods (or as soon as I'm in cell coverage). However, I imagine that unlike you in CO, I'm seldom over a mile or so from my vehicle.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
I know the feeling. We used to have a group of six of us who hunted together. Now it is down to just two. Losing a friend is bad enough but losing a hunting buddy really hurts. Hope you can find someone else to get with for your CO hunts. We did not make it to CO this year due to health problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did not get to go hunting this year-no one to hunt with(colorado)-what a crappy fall.First time in over 40 years
man...that's tough....hope that changes for you.....I'd hate to go all year without my hunting....especially deer hunting.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not draw a deer lic this year-I did get a cow tag-Colorado hunting for me is a 240 mile drive from the house.Being alone for two weeks is not much fun,no one to talk to.Also having to drag a cow elk alone is NOT possible-suppose I could cut it in pieces.Next year I will draw a deer licence and will go even if I have to stay in a motel-I think I can handle a deer on my own.Bummer time!

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
I did not draw a deer lic this year-I did get a cow tag-Colorado hunting for me is a 240 mile drive from the house.Being alone for two weeks is not much fun,no one to talk to.Also having to drag a cow elk alone is NOT possible-suppose I could cut it in pieces.Next year I will draw a deer licence and will go even if I have to stay in a motel-I think I can handle a deer on my own.Bummer time!
Start looking for a good hunting partner, its no fun trying to get an elk out 12 miles from home, in your early 20s. After downing a few elk, a person appreciates deer hunting even more.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,129 Posts
Wait 'til you have to pack a bull moose out by yourself through swamp and forest! :eek:

I agree on the hunting buddy. Its never a good idea to go off hunting by yourself so far from home. Never know when accidents occur.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
The thing is, it can be real tough finding a guy to hunt with that you like and respect and can really trust. In my experience, few things will bring out the differences between two guys like hunting together. I've hunted with quite a few different people in my life, but I have to say that probably half of them I would just as soon not be in camp with, for one reason or another. I guess that's one reason why I'm so motivated to make the hunting experience enjoyable for my wife and children; I'll always have a good hunting buddy around to help drag out my deer. :cool:

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Some of the hardest "personal moments" in my life have come about because of problems that have occured between myself and hunting buddies. People I probably would have gotten along with for the rest of my life have fallen out of favor in just one day in hunting camp. The problems have ranged from dealing with apathy, to dealing with a full blown drunk trying to get into the hunting rig with a six-pack of beer under his coat, and already blind drunk. (Or, was it the other drunk, who fired his .357 out of our cabin window after midnight, towards our neighbors?) If I had to name the most common offense, it would be people who are hunting an area I've hunted for 20 years or better and know it infinitely better than I in their first hour of hunting there. It definitely shows things about a person you would otherwise never know to spend a couple of days in hunting camp with them. Count yourself lucky if you have had a decent and trustworthy hunting partner or two during your life.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Some of the hardest "personal moments" in my life have come about because of problems that have occured between myself and hunting buddies. People I probably would have gotten along with for the rest of my life have fallen out of favor in just one day in hunting camp. The problems have ranged from dealing with apathy, to dealing with a full blown drunk trying to get into the hunting rig with a six-pack of beer under his coat, and already blind drunk. (Or, was it the other drunk, who fired his .357 out of our cabin window after midnight, towards our neighbors?) If I had to name the most common offense, it would be people who are hunting an area I've hunted for 20 years or better and know it infinitely better than I in their first hour of hunting there. It definitely shows things about a person you would otherwise never know to spend a couple of days in hunting camp with them. Count yourself lucky if you have had a decent and trustworthy hunting partner or two during your life.
Amen, brother. Surest way to lose a casual friend is to go hunting with them and find out any number of things about their character you never would have guessed in a lifetime of dinner parties. I hope the OP finds a buddy or two that he can get along with real well so he can get back out there hunting, safe in the knowledge some good guys have his back if he needs any help.

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
The thing is, it can be real tough finding a guy to hunt with that you like and respect and can really trust. In my experience, few things will bring out the differences between two guys like hunting together. I've hunted with quite a few different people in my life, but I have to say that probably half of them I would just as soon not be in camp with, for one reason or another. I guess that's one reason why I'm so motivated to make the hunting experience enjoyable for my wife and children; I'll always have a good hunting buddy around to help drag out my deer. :cool:
So true, i hunt alone for the most part.

·
Registered
435 Posts
......... It definitely shows things about a person you would otherwise never know to spend a couple of days in hunting camp with them. Count yourself lucky if you have had a decent and trustworthy hunting partner or two during your life.
or try spending a day or two with a partner in a "two man tent" during a blizzard :D
you both find out things about the other guy (and yourself) :eek:

·
Registered
327 Posts
I do most of my hunting alone now. I have had brothers and friends that I hunted with years ago, but they have all moved to other states and no one has replaced them full time. I have kind of adapted to hunting alone, and yes I do have to cut animals into pieces and pack them out with a pack frame. Deer are cut in half and elk are cut into four or more pieces. If I have to, as I get older, I will bone out the meat, put it in a meat sack, and pack it out in a backpack. Or I will just cut it up into smaller pieces. I have one coworker that I hunt with occasionally, and each trip with him has been a positive experience, but he has a wife and twin daughters that all hunt, so it's hard for him to get away with me.

When I am alone, I don't take any chances. If roads are bad or the snow is too deep, I alter my plans or just don't go. I guess I'm lucky in that I only have to drive about 30 miles or less to hunt, so I can go home and wait for the weather to change and go out again. My wife always knows where I hunt and when I plan to be back.

I feel bad for the OP, but I can't help but feel that any effort made to go hunting is better than the alternative. I'm 52, so I know my best years are behind me, but I still have the desire to make each experience meaningful by trying to stay in somewhat decent shape (walking, bike riding, crosscountry skiing) and hunting away from my pickup. I have a game cart now, but I haven't used it in the two years I've owned it. I always have it with me elk hunting, because it would be useful in most of the places I hunt. (But not this year..had to cut the calf into two pieces and pack it out on the frame.) If elk hunting gets to be too difficult, I'll just hunt deer and antelope more (multiple licenses) and probably shoot less...and then there are game birds. It's important to just get out there...out away from the TV, the computer, four walls, away from the vehicle, up on the ridge, down in the ravine, across the sagebrush flat where the wind whispers secrets in your ear and the sun caresses the back of your neck. Hunt gophers with a slingshot if you have to. Never give up that spirit of the hunt that you meant so much to you when you were younger. Savor the sight of a pine squirrel trashing a lodgepole pine cone or chasing each other up and down trees. I once watched a golden eagle swoop down after a bunch of sage grouse and was amazed that, once flushed, the grouse out manuvered the eagle in short order. As human beings becoming increasingly confined by less and less open space, our souls demand rigorous and meaningful outdoor experiences. Get out there!

Now, where was I?

·
Registered
445 Posts
There are some places I can hunt just 10 minutes from my house. Honestly, they're not my favorite spots - especially for deer - but they are convenient. Sometimes it's nice to be able to slip out for a few hours and have some quiet time by myself. Last year I got out during the middle of the last week of deer season and didn't see another person. I loved it!

·
Registered
330 Posts
We hunted in NW Colorado 3rd rifle season for elk GMU 11. You could've hunted along with our group. Always thought it would be nice having a local in our group. There were only 3 of us this year but 4 woul've been just right. That way we could pair up. The elk herds didn't come in till the day before we were leaving for home. Open invitation for next year if you don't mind hunting with some Kaliforny's.

·
Registered
771 Posts
We go on a guided waterfowl hunt every year, to the Texas panhandle. Not this year, 4 out of 5 backed outon our Sandhill Crane hunt. Lost our deposit, and lost out on some great eating meat. Really cool hunt, guide puts out "stuffers". Doesn't call the shot 'til birds have landed AND have their heads down feeding!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Good friends are hard to come by and good hunting buddies are once in a lifetime. My 12 yr. old son is my hunting buddy and it doesn't get any better than that !!!!!! HD1

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
Often in the past, when hunting in weather ranging from sweat running into your eyes to chill factors way below zero, I wonder why I do it. Just getting a glimpse of game changes the whole attitude along with perceived discomfort.

I have one son who I like hunting deer and antelope with. And another son who I'd rather have hunting in a different unit. Also have a good friend who I hunt elk, Hills deer, prediators and shoot prairie dogs with. Have hunted alone alot too. Guess I can go either way.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have been hunting alone for the last 5 years. I did not go this year, because I just didn't have time. Didn't have time to scout, didn't have time to shoot. no time to hunt.

I have been hunting alone because I got tired of watching out for drunks and druggys. And those people that just want to come and tell you how bad their life sucks. I don't go to the woods or camp to talk about work, or unleash my propblems onto someone else, and I expect the same from others.

Now if someone asks me for advice, I may give it to them, but it is not up for debate. They asked, I told them. done deal. Whether or not that use or take my advice is really not my concern.

I like a beer now and then , but i don't have time for those that drink to get drunk.

Oh and I know I will propbably get flack for this. but I don't go to camp to talk about religion either.

If you want to talk about Cars, Trucks, Guns. Ammo, Reloading , building houses, building skyscrapers, American History or World History, I am all ears.

Oh, just need to ad, we can talk about sports too

1 - 19 of 19 Posts