Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an uncle that owns an archery shop, and he has been needing a hunting rifle. So last night I met him at his shop, and we did some horse trading. I swapped my .264 for a bow, and all the accesories to go with it.

My brother has wanted me to get one for awhile now and shoot with him, so after shooting his bow yesterday I was hooked. I know some of you might think I'm nuts, but usually when I get a wild hair, I run with it. I still have my .338 for big game, and it looks like I might be working on getting closer.

I will be still shooting and handloading for the .264, as a favor to my uncle. He was happy, Im very happy for two reasons. One I got a nice setup, and two, he used to be a .270 kind of guy :D

MikeG, I wasnt sure where to post this exactly, but it did pertain to rifles so I started here.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Wow, that was over faster than a HS love affair! :D Is this the same Tang who was giving guys crap about using a pointed stick because they weren't ethical? :p

Are you REALLY down to just three rifles?! :eek:

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wow, that was over faster than a HS love affair! :D Is this the same Tang who was giving guys crap about using a pointed stick because they weren't ethical? :p

Are you REALLY down to just three rifles?! :eek:
Yes sir. Things don't always work out like we want, and sometimes I like to do things that help others as much as it does me. My uncle is estatic with that rifle, and it makes me happy that it will see use. The .300 left under bad circumstances, where the funds were needed more than the gun. I'm a year and a half into marriage and this isnt easy lol Yup, down to three Jim. My priorities changed I reckon, not much else I can say.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,196 Posts
I'm a year and a half into marriage and this isnt easy lol Yup, down to three Jim.
And who's fault is that???

:D

RJ

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
And who's fault is that???

:D

RJ

Tang is just now finding out that two cannot live as cheaply as one unless one stops eating, stops buying new clothes and gives up their hobby. :D

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
A bow kill is worth four with a HP rifle (unless you are strictly after meat). If you become proficient with a bow, you will be a remarkably better gun hunter than you were before to boot.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Tang, I apologize...I didn't mean to bust yer chops for real and I know how tough it can be early on in a marriage. For the record, I hope things go well and that someday your uncle takes his best buck ever with that 264WM. Also, I think you'll find that bowhunting is much more challenging, but that much more rewarding, when compared to hunting with a gun. I've known several guys who lived to bowhunt and if they went out with a gun at all, it was simply to fill the freezer. They considered it very little challenge and were almost disappointed when they got one with a gun, instead of a bow. To that end, I bet you enjoy bowhunting a lot and I hope you get one under your tree before the year is out! :)

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He set me up rather nicely I think. PSE Octane bow, Beman arrows, Spitfire XP 100 mech. broad heads, Scott release, and a top gun slider sight. I went through all his bows there (PSE, AR, and Browning), and the Octane just felt really good to me. I've started it out at 55lb draw weight for learning.

Here is what the bow looks like

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Nice setup! I'd probably bow hunt, but I played baseball for 9 years as a pitcher and my shoulder is toast for pulling them back. Until I get my rotator cuff repaired its just going to be rifle hunting for me. As to marriage, keep your head up and consult the good book when dealing with any situation and you two will be just fine. Good luck.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,720 Posts
Bowhunting can be fun. Depending on where you live it may open up a lot of opportunities.

Good luck, be glad your wife likes to shoot and hunt. Mine was badgering me this morning about getting another bison :D so hey.... can't complain. You'll have more toys in no time!

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guess I have went from options, down to a 1 rifle hunter. But I believe my one rifle, and my new toy will leave anything I wanna go after in some serious trouble :)

Thanks for the supportive words guys.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I'm happy that you've discovered bow hunting, it's as challenging, as it is rewarding !!! I do question trading a rifle for a bow though !!! These days a $1000 bow holds its value for about 5 minutes and firearms in general seem to become evermore valuable. I too have made some "Questionable" trades over the years and hope yours turns out to be the deal of a lifetime. Good shooting !!! HD1

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
HD1 is right, bows might as well have a motor, because they don't hold their value at all.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All in all, Im somewhere around $700 in normal retail value with the bow. I had about $500 in the .264. Guys, I didnt do it for money. I did it, because my land has gotten grown up with underbrush, and a long shot is now 40 yards, where it used to be 100+. I wanted a .45-70 with iron sights, but my friend the gun dealer wouldnt swap me the Marlin for the Ruger, so now I'm into bows. But the bow I can shoot indoors lol

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I predict, within a short period of time, Tang will have several bows, ALL of them maxed out in draw weight, and he won;t draw back a bow unless it's a "magnum"....... (we won;t see much of him because he'll be in some "other" forum)

((( :D )))

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, sadly enough.... right now with my bow at 55lbs, with 31" arrows and 100 grain tips, Im only getting 240fps.

But I will always be here. Since Im going to be a one rifle hunter, I think I better trade up to a .378 Wby Mag, dont you ?

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I'm not sure if thats enough gun for groundhogs, badgers, and raccoons...

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You are right Matt. Every man should own a .460 right ? Or at the VERY LEAST, a .458 Lott in a Ruger MkII Mag ?

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I'm barely keeping up with the .444 Marlin! It'll have to suffice for now. My new toy is a 1A in 6.5x55 Swede, I don't think I'll be buying a big bore for a while, I don't really have one on my radar. A .45/70 No. 1S would be pretty cool though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts