Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never understood people that hate on the .270 Winchester.. its an amazing round with long range accuracy, good ballistic coefficiency retaining at long range, and a great medium to big game round. Any idea why people hate on it? lol

·
Registered
13,272 Posts
There is one member here who speaks of it with some derision, but most either love the 270 Win or begrudgingly respect it.

I think the answer to your question is that some folks will always despise something that is just TOO good...and I believe the few detractors of the 270 fall into that category.

·
Registered
752 Posts
As a former, and happy, .270 hunter/shooter/owner (had 2) I can say without qualification that the .270 is a great cartridge. I've used it to kill deer and it never let me down. As much as I like the 30/06 and .308, I'd take a .270 first and never look back.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,949 Posts
Just never had an interest in it. Have it bracketed with .264's and .284's, though. :)

Reactions: Reloader77

·
Registered
13,272 Posts
Just never had an interest in it. Have it bracketed with .264's and .284's, though. :)
See, now I have a 270 and that leaves me with no need for a rifle shooting .264" or .284" bullets. Not saying either of those are bad, but a 270 covers it all.

Oh, and I totally want to have rifles shooting those other bullets, too...all in good time! :)

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
If not the best overall cartridge for deer hunting (and similar sized game) then it is certainly on the short list of 2 or 3! I may choose to hunt with a lot of other cartridges for one reason or another, but I believe today in my collection that I own more rifles chambered in .270 Win than any other cartridge.

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
Over here in the UK both the 243Win and the 270Win were 'fashionable', writers in magazines used them etc etc etc.
But neither killed deer any better than the parent 308Win or 30-06, perhaps not as well.;):D

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Had one in a Model 70FW. Liked my .30-06 Model 70FW better though. I certainly don't hate the .270, but if you want to go there (bore down a bit from a .30-06) the .280, or better yet .280 Ackely is the way to go. It'll do everything the .270 will do on the lighter bullet end and with the 160 and 175 grain .284 bullets readily available, the .280 is clearly better on the heavier end. Those are just facts.

Reactions: Sus Scrofa

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
I'm not sure I ever heard or read of a person "hating" the 270 Win. In popular culture, could that be translated to "270 can't get no love"?

I think the caliber is just fine, and that other calibers suffer more undue derision than the 270. That's really when men beg to differ, such as the back-and-forth banter usually heard in the "the 270 can do anything the 30-06 can do, and most of it better" arguments.

I've got both sides covered with 25-06 and 30-06, and some in-between. The addition of a 270 Win would be nice, but.....why? I could get just as much satisfaction by reading several old articles written by Jack O'Connor.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Had one in a Model 70FW. Liked my .30-06 Model 70FW better though. I certainly don't hate the .270, but if you want to go there (bore down a bit from a .30-06) the .280, or better yet .280 Ackely is the way to go. It'll do everything the .270 will do on the lighter bullet end and with the 160 and 175 grain .284 bullets readily available, the .280 is clearly better on the heavier end. Those are just facts.
Those are the facts. I like your thinking and couldn't agree more. That said,……I kind'a like to specialize when taking a rifle out of my safe and that's why I own a 7X57 and .270 for some purposes,….. and the .300 Win, .35 Whelen and .458 Win for other purposes. :)

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Jack O'Connor and the .270 were synonymous.
Elmer Keith loved the big bores. Keith said that the .270 was a **** fine coyote rifle.
So. the followers of Keith dislike the .270.
The readers of O'Connor love the .270.
Makes interesting reading and conversation.
Jim

·
Registered
36 Posts
I acquired my first 30-06 just over a month ago, and and my first .270 two days after that. The 06 came up for sale when a friend needed more christmas money and the .270 at a christmas party. My 06 is a much nicer gun than my .270 but I'm already favoring the .270. Not really sure why, just do. I've debated selling one of them, but I pretty much know I won't. If I never sell another gun I'm fine with that. I've sold 3 ever and regret 2 of them.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hello:
I agree with all the answers above to.
Theres times id take a 270 off the shelf over a 308 for example because i liked the stock finish better.
But id take an 06 over a 270 for some i like feature that the 270 might not have in front of me.
I really like my 280 browning abolt but i too own a well liked 270 rem bdl too.
Definately no complaints on the 270 cal here just plain something i liked better but if it was on the 270 too at the time the 270 would have gotten the nod unless a 280 was in the mix and only because the 280 has a sweet spot in my experience.
But 270 is absolutely in the good cal list and is going to get a real good look at too.
Head Shot

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
The biggest problem laid down on the .270 Winchester, is the fact so many stories have been told, how it is a caliber to do all things. It is what it is no matter what "gun rag" of yester-year may have held it in high regard and shot animals it was not really meant to harvest. :(

My opinion of the .270 Winchester fell very low after an elk hunt years ago back in the early 60's. I was a young man still wet behind the ears, when it came to hunting big game animals in the Rocky Mountains. I made what I thought was a great shot with my .270 on a bull elk, 200 yds up a mountain bench.:confused:

I had 130 grain bullets in the rifle for starters, not a good choice at all, then I hit the critter right in the front shoulder. Needless to say, I was in hot water quick. I ran after that bull, that trotted on up that mountain. Now after 1/4 mile, my lungs were on fire and my heart was beating like a Johnny Popper.:eek:

I learned a lot that day about the .270 Winchester! It is a deer caliber said one of the brothers, who later helped kill the bull with his .300 WIn mag. His brother was shooting a .338 Win mag and they both put holes clean through that bull as it came off the mountain. ;):)

It has brought down some great looking bucks for me and a speed goat almost 400 yards down range. Another dozen or so coyote's and can't remember the groudhogs in the field behind the barn. I think it's limitations start when the animals gets to reaching 350 to 400 lbs and don't forget those heavier premium bullets, like those 160's.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,714 Posts
When the .270 first came out, there were no "good" bullets capable of handling the velocity that the 270 could produce. Winchester loaded the dreaded "Silvertip" and Remington had their "Bronze point" niether was all that great at "closer" ranges. That's why the .270 was "hated" then. Now it's just as good as other 30-06 kin with the right bullet.

I still consider it "light" for elk, but I've seen it kill several so it would appear my opinion is "invalid" :D

.270 brass does neck up well and makes dandy 35 Whelen brass. :p

RJ

Reactions: 7x57 #1

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
In reality, the .260 Rem, 6.5 Swede, .270, 7-08, 7x57, and .280 (and a few others in this slot) accomplish the exact same thing. They are non "magnum" rounds which are generally fun to shoot and which very efficiently throw 120 to 160 grain bullets downrange in the 2500 to 3200 fps realm (depending on the bullet). No light to medium game animal struck though the vitals ever knows any difference what-so-ever from one to the other. As always, good marksmanship and a well constructed bullet are the key.

Certainly they could be used for varmint, but the .22s through .25s are better suited for this role.

The .30s/8mm are a step up from this class, although with 175s, the 7x57 and .280 can play for sure.

Reactions: 7x57 #1

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
i (i love elmer, not to fond of jack)really didn't care for a 270. and then i bought one. a ruger #1 took bucks and does out regulerly with a 130gr ballistics tip with a charge of imr4320. i don't use it much anymore, i use a 444marlin(tc encore) and a 45-70(handi rifle) with a bit of 30-40krag thrown in there. but the 270 has got a place in my heart, i might take out the old girl....

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.