Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's your chuckle for the day. Another shop, where they can't even spell "gunschmidt" sent me an A5 20ga Mag in beautiful shape. Complaint was shoots once, fails to extract and cycle the action. I forget what all he said he tried. Examination showed that all, repeat all of the friction components were stored below the spring. Wonder why it wouldn't work? DUH! Have a good Christmas. Goatwhiskers the Elder:D

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I'm sure that's really funny, but I must profess to be ignorant as to the reason why. Enlighten me? :)

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I don't mind. Magnum loads, you have the spring, steel ring taper up, bronze ring, steel w/taper down, steel w/taper up, bronze, then the barrel. Heavy game loads and 3" steel you have the spring, steel w/taper up, bronze, then the barrel. You have to have the friction parts in place for a long recoil action to work, they function as a brake. Also, Browning tells you on the magnum guns to not store the xtra parts under the spring when setting for lighter loads, rather to put them in the proverbial "safe" place. It seems the gun will not function when those parts have the spring pushed forward. Ask me how I know that. I guess you had to be there. Goatwhiskers the Elder

·
Registered
620 Posts
That's funny. I made a 2 5/16 shoot 2 3/4 a few months back, so that was my first thought till I read the rest of your post.

I guess better they gave it to someone that knows, and takes the time to look at it, then mess something else up themselves.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
I can sympathize. We've been 'marketed' to believe all shotguns should work with whatever we feed them!

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Guess that universal solution should have been done by the owner before taking too the gunsmith "when all else fails read the instruction manual".

·
Registered
639 Posts
I had plenty of those with misassembled friction rings. I also had several where someone had installed Cutt's compensators; not a good idea on a recoil operated arm used for light loads.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
If there is such a pill, I need a prescription.

I just spent 45 minutes digging through bins and drawers looking for the rear, lower half of a set of Leapold rings. I'm taking one of my good target scopes off a rifle and installing it on my 22-250 so I can start working up loads at 400yds. I wanted to leave the lower halves on so I wouldn't have to mess with alignment and just move the scope over. After a bunch of digging and cursing, I finally find it and get both rings on, and perfectly aligned, ready to sit the scope in. Grab the rifle to take the scope off and that's when it finally dawns on me, those were one inch rings, the scope is 30mm.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We've all done the same sort of thing at one time or another. It's caused by the sudden expulsion of flatulence from the cranial cavity, otherwise known as a brain fxxt. Goatwhiskers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts