Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had a weird start to Winter here. We usually have kind of a wet Fall and an early wet Winter. No such luck this year.

My Oxbow is down at least 8-10 feet or so. Vines pulled down some fencing in between me and a neighbors. We have wild Grape which can get big and heavy. It's only 30-40 feet or so combined, but a chore for me nonetheless. The dips in the fence caused an issue with my chickens getting onto their property and one of their German Shepard's chased them onto my side causing a couple of chicken injuries....but nothing that I cannot handle. Their dogs have about a 1 acre pen inside their property, but are allowed to run in their remaining several acres from time to time. Not very often. My FIL is a bit gun shy about dogs since the attack on him last summer. I am fixin' to go out and try and patch things up as best I can. I got about 12 feet done today. One of the low spots is a deer crossing and I extra flagged it so I don't get any of my deer hurt. I left one side open so they get used to it tonight. Who knows if it will work.

Photos below.

Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree
Plant Cloud Sky Plant community Natural landscape
Plant Sky Cloud Natural landscape Tree
Plant Sky Branch Tree Natural landscape
Cloud Plant Sky Natural environment Tree

I also have a Texas Leaf Cutter Ant issue. There is almost nothing made to control them (there is, but expensive) and I held a Pesticide License for close to 20 years on the Gulf Coast. I never ran into them until I moved here...lol I cannot use granular due to chickens and have limited areas that I can use liquid synthetics safe for poultry. It is a FUN problem.

Plant Plant community Land lot Natural landscape Grass
Terrestrial plant Twig Plant Groundcover Grass
Brown Plant Tree Wood Land lot
Plant Wood Natural landscape Road surface Shrub

Registered
Dry weather here in Idaho too. My 2 late hunts looked like early hunts. But lack of water is a bigger problem. Winter FINALLY came when my last hunt ended though! 馃槩 It's finally snowing. Need a lot of it!

Registered
I just finished plowing for the 3rd time in 2 days. Flat where I haven't plowed is 1 ft deep. Not complaining because we need it with the drought. Broke a tire chain yesterday and didn't have enough parts to fix it. So hopefully I can get to town tomorrow and buy stuff. Doing okay on 3 chains and 4 wheel drive so far. I just need to stay on top of it and not get lazy.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A few photos. The first two were from Friday (two days ago) and the companion pictures taken this morning. Almost 4 1/2 inches of rain last night. Plus about half of a 200 acre pasture drains into this. Nice having instant fill. :D

Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree
Plant Cloud Sky Plant community Natural landscape

Sky Water Water resources Plant Plant community
Water Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree

Premium Member
I didn't see the decoy's out there.....;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't see the decoy's out there.....;)
I have 6-7 Wood Ducks that normally frequent the Oxbow daily year round. Have not seen them since it got really dry. No sign of them Sunday or yesterday either. Ducks are a creature of habit and I hope they find their way back now that we have water again. Here is a photo from my "Idiot" thread of when I stuck my mower a few weeks back and the same area yesterday. My mower would be under about 6-8 feet of water right now. :p Glad me and my neighbor got it out.

Plant Plant community Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Water Sky Plant community Plant Natural landscape

Premium Member
Yup, you dodged a dunking there. West Texas where I prefer to live, San Angelo area, has three lakes. One of them, Twin Buttes, I lived about a quarter mile from...so they say/said. When I relocated to TS65, an airport, that "lake" looked like a cow peed on a flat rock, the year before. The very nice large concrete boat ramp was nearly a mile from the puddle. Months later, after four straight days of rain on the watershed, they were letting water out, so as not to bust the dam. Yup, this is Texas, never bet on the weather or against it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I had several friends in college from San Angelo and back then I knew little about the City. They told me that their claim to fame was that their City was awarded the "Fickle Finger of Fate" award from the TV show Laugh-In because the Concho River caught fire it was so dry. lol

San Angelo was also home to the Houston Oilers training camp back then. One of my roommates Mother was the PR chief for their Chamber of Commerce and was great friends with many of the Oilers of the time.

Edited: Had a bunch of Black Bellied Whistling Ducks pay a visit this morning, but still no Wood Ducks yet. Fingers crossed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts