Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been single for six or seven years and relatively happy and content with life. Maybe too much so? There's this little voice in the back of my head whispering
'You've not been baffled and befuddled for a while. You've been intirely too happy and content! You need something to beat the living bejabbers out of you while leaving you totally frustrated! You need to get married or build a wildcat cartridge and then a rifle to go with it."

I know what happens when I get married so I opted for the rifle. Even if I shoot myself with the rifle, it's less painful and costly then marriage.
So with that introduction, what's the consensus here for building a nice bolt gun shooting the 416 bullet using the Ultra case?
Has anybody done this already?
Jim

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Jim,

I think you need to get yourself a nice little Contender Carbine with a 16" barrel chambered to shoot the 444 Marlin or 45/70 cartridge. NO muzzle brake on this either.

That'll make you walk down the isle, after your cheek heals up.

:biggrin:

Regards

:cool:

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Misery loves company?
I prefer to admire other folks marital success from afar. It seems that around every successful marriage, there's a bevy of gals that would like to immulate it.  Once one of those ladies has you in her sights it's like dodging a locomotive, with your boot caught under the cross tie. You can stand up and take it like a man, or lay down and hope it passes over with out stopping. These ladies are about the size of locomotives and if they pause, a fellow could get hurt.
I see a 400 grain cast bullet moving at 2,400 or more feet per... Maybe a 500 grainer?
Would a 24 inch barrel get the most velocity out of this case/bullet combination?
Jim

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Jim:
  Just lined up my meagre collection of .416 cartridges (I do not have rifles for them) and I suspect you're talking about a Dakota. It's a mite puny compared to a Rigby, but it makes a Remington look a mite more puny. Since the Dakota and the Ultras are both on the .404 case, about all I can see you you getting from a wildcat is a mite higher shoulder. The Dakota's shoulder is lower than the Rigby, which is lower than the Remington. It does make an `06 look real puny.

Anyhow, he who pays the piper calls the tune. (Wish the Canadian government believed that.)

Bye
Jack

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Jim,

I have a friend who's been married twice... both times he married really good house-keepers.  He got the mortgage and they kept the house!

Bye,

Marshall

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Marshall
I suppose that age does have it's advantages.
I am 53, the ladies in that age cohort don't seem to have the same visual appeal as the younger fillies. So I can easily get wrapped up in looking at a fine rifle or pistol and forget that I have a lady with me or...did I bring one this time? These older gals are also very easy to forget.
Thanks for the help guys.
The 416 project will putter along and I'll keep you all informed.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts