Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I plan on buying an elk/moose hunting rifle and want top of the line rifle. I really like the 300 wsm, 300 wm, and the 300 rum. The $3000 budget is only for the rifle, I have picked out a swarovski Scope that will be mounted on it. I originally liked the Kimber Mountain Ascent, but the scope cost more than the rifle, felt like a kinda weird set up.
Any input helps. Thanks

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
Nothing wrong with the scope costing more $$. Good glass allows an accurate rifle it's due. Not sure if you're hung up on lightweight with synthetic stock or not. That said, I'll mention two rifles I'd buy given the go-ahead from my wife (banker) or if I really wanted it, by selling one or two I already own.

First, if you like quality and walnut look closely at a M70 Super Grade. Beautifully finished and mine is very accurate. If you don't (?) like blue and walnut, I'll suggest the Nosler M48. The Nosler name has a reputation for quality and so does the M48.

My choice in either would be the .300 WSM, but that's a personal thing, kinda like what you and the wife....oh, never mind.:D

Reactions: Travis299

·
Super Moderator
3,816 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

There are a number of factory rifles both new and used that should meet your requirements and stay within your budget. So it depends what you prefer, handles well and can afford. Hope this helps. All the best...
Gil

·
Premium Member
15,347 Posts
Dakota, Kimber of Or. or used custom. There's a Goen's rifle for less than $3K for sale now.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
For 3k you could actually get into a field grade custom build.

My DIL recently purchased a Tikka T3 Lite that will shoot 1/2" with our loads. Tikka's are very nice and they can be had for a lot less than 3k. The triggers and actions are super sweet also.

As far as glass, it's not at all out of the ordinary for glass to cost as much or more than the rifle. Heck, most of mine are production rifles, so the glass almost always costs more than the rifle.

Just an FYI, if you're going to go this deep into a high end rig, you may as well take up reloading. It will enable you to squeeze every bit of obtainable accuracy out of any rifle.

SMOA

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Better Rifle???

Hey, I was looking to buy a light weight, non custom, mountain gun and wanted to know if anyone has any other suggestions over a Kimber Mountain Ascent in a 300wsm with a 2-12 swarovski Scope. Any input helps.
Thanks

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,871 Posts
You of course, are opening up a whole can of wiggly worms! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Kimber, CZ top end, Sako, or Weatherby are very good choices (got one or two of each)
I put Kimber in the same class as Remington. quality control sucks and they are VERY overpriced.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,871 Posts
I'll close this thread being as you've started another for the same purpose.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Hey, I was looking to buy a light weight, non custom, mountain gun and wanted to know if anyone has any other suggestions over a Kimber Mountain Ascent in a 300wsm with a 2-12 swarovski Scope. Any input helps.
Thanks
for the price of a crap kimber, you can have a hand made tack driver from Montana Rifle.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,921 Posts
Merged the two threads.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Hello, I plan on buying an elk/moose hunting rifle and want top of the line rifle. I really like the 300 wsm, 300 wm, and the 300 rum. The $3000 budget is only for the rifle, I have picked out a swarovski Scope that will be mounted on it. I originally liked the Kimber Mountain Ascent, but the scope cost more than the rifle, felt like a kinda weird set up.
Any input helps. Thanks
I'm not saying you should change your mind on the scope, but all the serious hunters I know of have gone Nightforce and they're comparable in price depending on your needs. Lot of the guys seem to like TIKA, I'd buy one buy my next bolt rifle will be made more in line with a Remington 660 or I change the barrels on my SAKO.

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
I have a couple of barrels for my T/C Encore which I would take moose hunting. One an SSK and the other an original Rochester custom T/C 300 H&H. Put these barrels on the pro Hunter action and they will do the job. The whole lot didn't cost me $3000.
Ask yourself how much are you paying for the 'NAME' first and second how you could enjoy the dollars you saved.
However you pays your money and takes your choice.

The Tikka T3 is up there with the best and would be my choice next to my Encore, if a bolt gun was preferred.

I had the loan of a 300WSM in Texas to shoot three big stinky boars. They all fell over stone dead. Seemed like a useful cartridge.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Look at Rugers website. They have a new (modified) line of Hawkeye called the FTW. Finally putting 24 in barrels on some standard calibers, and 7mm and 300wm , of course. Laminate wood stocks and real recoil pads (finally ). I like the looks of them. List price $1268.00. Don't know if they've hit the gun stores yet. Just a thought.:)

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Forgive me for asking, but aren't pretty much ALL "non custom" rifles sold for under $3,000? I mean, there may be a few factory rifles that go for that much or more, but it's a small list, ain't it?

If a guy has that kind of money to drop on just the rifle, with a $1,000 scope, I honestly don't know why he would bother to ask a bunch of dudes on the Internet what he should buy. If the question was, "What's the best rifle under $1,200 to put under a Swarovski scope?", that would make sense. Otherwise, I'm confused.

Reactions: JOAT
1 - 20 of 48 Posts