Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I have a question for all you rifle fanatics. I'm planning on purchasing a bolt action rifle in the next few weeks but I'm stumped on what to get. I know I don't want a 22LR. The main purpose of the rifle will be for small game and maybe a deer or two. Please help

Thanks for any info given.:confused:

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,953 Posts
When you mention small game (rabbits, squirrels, etc.) and then deer sized game, you're talking two different chamberings of firearms, unless you care nothing for eating the small game.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
If you're wanting something to use for both small and big game, you'll need either a shotgun where you would use shot for small game and then slugs for big, or a combination rifle/shotgun type firearm to use for either or even both at the same time. Buying a shotgun for both and going the slug and birdshot route, would likely be your least expensive way, costing as little as $400-$500, followed by buying a rimfire rifle, like a .17/.22 for small game and then a second centerfire larger bore rifle (like a .243 or above) for deer and above. A decent combination rifle/shotgun such as the Valmet 412 or 512 would likely be more expensive than the two rifle scenario. It would surely work fine, but would run a bit over $1,000., while you could buy two rifles of decent quality for about $700-$800 total (and more, of course).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you mention small game (rabbits, squirrels, etc.) and then deer sized game, you're talking two different chamberings of firearms, unless you care nothing for eating the small game.
Ok scratch the small game...just deer sized game.

·
Banned
503 Posts
For < $500, get one from column A and one from column B. The used .22 can be had for < $75 if you shop around leaving $425 for a nice rifle. Can be got off the Internet at places like Whittaker Guns, or JG Sales. Buy a Mil-Surp rifle like a Mosin Nagant and have lots left over for a nice used shotgun.

Column A ($200 or less)
used Shotgun 20/12 ga
used 22LR rifle

Column B (Remainder)
used lever action rifle in 30-30
used bolt action rifle in 30-06, .243, .308, .270, etc.
military surplus rifle - I have a friend who hunts deer with his $125 SKS

·
Registered
13,226 Posts
Welcome to ShootersForum, Izzy...rules are simple, be nice and join in!

You'll find that most of us on here love our bolt-action .22LR's because they are what we learned to shoot with, they are what we still do a lot of practice with and they're just plain useful and fun!

But, they're not sufficient for deer, so that's what you're asking about. For a new guy looking for a big game rifle, I think it would be hard to go wrong with one chambered for 270 Winchester or 260 Remington. As for the action, if I were in your shoes, I would go to the local pawn shops and try to find a used Browning A-bolt, Savage 110, Winchester Model 70, Remington Model 700, or a Ruger M77...all bolt guns and all likely to give you everything you're looking for in a rifle.

Now, if you've got a fair-sized bankroll and would like to do something a little "different" pick up a T/C Encore in 260 Remington and then buy a .22LR barrel for it. You'll have a very accurate gun that will do both of the things you originally listed and if you find one used, probably be into it for less than $750 (plus two scopes). Also, if you really get bit by the huntin' bug and wind up going to new places and shooting bigger critters, you can always buy a 300 Win Mag barrel for it...lots of flexibility in the Encore.

·
Banned
233 Posts
you have not stated if you have expierence with center fires or shot guns. if you are new to game i suggest a 260 or 7/08 or even a 243.all have low to moderate recoil. as for gun types--you will be better off doing the ground work on that as the gun will suit you when you buy it. i prefer m77 rugers or sako when im rich,but you may try one and dislike them. guns are a personal thing.-hope you find something that fits you. good luck and good shooting.

·
Registered
930 Posts
These guys are giving you great advice. I recommend a leightweight rifle in either 260 REM or 7mm-08. The 260 isn't available in as many rifles as the 7mm-08 (darn). I've got Rugers in 260 and 243, and a Browning A-Bolt in 270. For a first gun, especially if you'll be shooting factory ammo, the Browning A-Bolt Micro in 7mm-08 would be a joy.

If you're doing a lot of shopping, especially for a used gun, decide on one or two rifles in 2 or three similar cartridges and then look for the deal. When you see it, grab it.

Two years ago I decided I had to have a Ruger M77 Compact, so I went to a gun show looking for one in either 260 or 7mm-08. I'm so glad the only one there was a 260 (pictured above). A year later I found a used one, identical except for it was 243, for only $300 with scope. That one's now in the cabinet next to the 260 and 270. The 270 gets the least work of the bunch, but hopefully will be with me in Montana after antelope in the next year or two.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts