Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry, this is long.

A little history first...My Dad thought Norma 205 was a gift from God.

He bought two 10 can boxes in 69/70 after probably owning a number of single cans first. He loaded everything with it. And VERY HOT. I dumped most of his loads when I was in HS and College. He had velocity sickness of the worst sort.

He was a smart guy...M.D. Served 5 years in WWII as a Corpsman in the South Pacific without getting killed. He was one of the smartest people I ever knew...except when it came to Center Fire reloading. His formula for N205 was to fill a case and stuff a bullet on top.

This actually does work in some cases...but in others is pushing or bypassing the limits.

I sold a case of 10 cans to a guy in Houston back in the 90's who was ecstatic to get it and he paid premium for it back then. I have given a few to some local gun stores who had a curio wall of extinct powders.

But...I still have 4 lbs. (actually 400 gram cans) of the stuff. I opened one a couple of years ago to give it the smell/dust test and it was fine. Still is as of this morning.

My Speer #8 (1970) has a bunch of loads for this powder in quite a number of calibers. Pretty much for heavier bullets in all of them.

My Hornady #2 (1973),,,,bupkis!!

When I was in the gun and reloading business in the early 80's, the scuttlebutt was that Norma could never reproduce the formula for 205 and came close with MRP. I don't know??

According to his journals, he did get some very good accuracy and results with 205, but he was always searching out that extra 100 fps.

Question 1? I'm confident the powder is good. I have some load data for a number of calibers I reload for...should I give it a go? Starting at minimums of course.

Question 2? If a 120 gr. bullet is listed for 270 Win., can I use the minimum load for a 117, or even a 110?

Question 3? Is there a place I can send common calibers for pressure testing. I know there is for shotgun.

Thanks to everyone who read this far!!

Joel

·
Premium Member
14,218 Posts
I'm loading powder that came from the back door of Olin St. Marks in 1969 and re-using H-414 loaded in 1988. I've never notice and INcrease in speed or pressures from old powder.
N205 and MRP are great slow powders. They all do best with heavy bullets, but you can load light bullets with less performance. You'll find it works the very best with 140 and 150 grain bullets and is pretty much a waste with 110 or 120 grain bullets.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I used both 205 and MRP in the 7mm-08 back in the late 70s, early 80s, for silhouette matches. I was getting a full 100 fps gain with 162 gr. match bullets over other powders. 205 got to be very hard to find, but I was still using MRP when I had to move and got out of silhouette in the mid 80s. If you want to push heavy bullets fast, with excellent accuracy, MRP can do it for you if that powder works in your cartridge.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,166 Posts
Question 1? I'm confident the powder is good. I have some load data for a number of calibers I reload for...should I give it a go? Starting at minimums of course.

Question 2? If a 120 gr. bullet is listed for 270 Win., can I use the minimum load for a 117, or even a 110?

Question 3? Is there a place I can send common calibers for pressure testing. I know there is for shotgun.

Thanks to everyone who read this far!!

Joel
1) seems reasonable to me.
2) 117, I would be fine with. Personally don't know I'd do that with a 110.
3) Don't know. You could always buy a Pressure Trace system and test for yourself.

Cheers

·
Registered
573 Posts
Question #1 , Heck yes , give it a go .
During the last powder shortage handgun powders were nonexistent , I found two unopened containers of Alcan-5 squirreled away in the back top closet shelf . I opened one ...looked good , smelled good and good old Speer #8 Manual had plenty data . Loaded 38 special , 357 magnum , 9mm Luger , 41 magnum all with great success .
It was like Unique only slightly slower burning ... I wish I had more .
Keeping the other sealed container for the next powder shortage.
Can't find a year on the can but 8 ounce can has $2.00 price tag on it !!!
Gary

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay....My Speer #8 manual has no load data for N205 in 150 gr. 30-06 (almost none in 30-06 at all). Anyone have a manual that has data for this caliber and bullet weight? The reason I ask because I have a bunch of bullets in that weight and would like to use this powder up.

Thanks in advance.

Joel

·
Super Moderator
13,164 Posts
This is from the Cast Boolits forum archives about 2006:

"MRP replaced N205. Norma's explanation at the time was that they were having trouble controlling the burn rate, and were having to scrap some lots. Norma said one could use N205 data with MRP."
Anything you get off the web should be taken with a grain of salt, so I would email Norma customer service and explain you have some old 205 and want to know if MRP data is valid with it. They will want you to be careful that the powder is in good condition. Some deteriorating powders destroy their derrents before they lose much much energy, giving the powder a higher burn rate, so you want to approach this carefully. Norma warrants their powder shelf life is at leas 10 years, and that ship sailed long ago.

Reloader 22 data is also reputed to be similar. All these powders are on the slow side for .30-06. MRP data from Norma doesn't start until the bullet weight is 180-grains. (MRP stands for Magnum Rifle Powder, so magnums are were this burn rate really belongs.) My Hornady #2 doesn't show N205 in the .30-06 at all. It waits for the magnum cartridges to use it. N204 is the fastest Norma powder they list for .30-06.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Burn rate and load data from the early 70's show that there is "NO" Correlation between MRP and N205.

I'll scan some pages to show the difference.

Thanks for the links though.

Joel

·
Premium Member
14,218 Posts
I've got John Wooter's article in "Propellant Profiles" if you want it scanned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts